public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guangzhou Ballet Ensemble on Mei Lanfang
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:35 am 

Hi all,

Gosh, this is my first post here ^_^ I am recently travelling in China, and bumped into a magazine article about Guangzhou Ballet Ensemble that fused classical Beijing opera (jingju) and ballet. One of the attempt is tribute to Mei Lanfang, where they presented a ballet based on the various jingju heroines that Mei Lanfang (he was a jingju star) played. Unfortunately, I can't find the pics anywhere (and it's just sooo... pretty to see the Opera makeup and costume and pointe shoes).

Well, can someone tell me more about this (Chinese opera and ballet) kind of fusion? Is the Guangzhou troop the only one that did it? And if it is possible for me to buy the DVD of the show?

Thanks a million!!!!

EDIT: another article, this time also abt Turandot

<small>[ 17 July 2004, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Floo.. ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Guangzhou Ballet Ensemble on Mei Lanfang
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:30 am 

Welcome, Floo. Hopefully, one of our other members can help you with your query. This sounds like a very interesting troupe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:13 am 

Hi, Floo. As far as I know, Guangzhou Ballet Ensemble's Mei Lan Fang has not been produced on DVD. However, another ballet that combines classical Beijing opera with ballet is the National Ballet of China's "Raise the Red Lantern", which is one of my favorite ballets. This is definitely worth seeing! Sadly, no DVD either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:23 pm 

Thanks for the information Fouette. Natonal Ballet of China's "Raise the Red Lantern" was a big hit in London, playing to packed audiences every night and a number of casts all made an impact with their interpretations.

China is already a major force in world ballet, so it is always interesting to hear about companies we have not heard of before. So, more information about Guangzhou Ballet Ensemble will very welcome.

<small>[ 26 July 2004, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:27 am 

Hi Fouette, thanks for the info!! I will try (one way or another) to see 'Raise...'.

Just a question (sorry for the off topic posting, BTW), is it based on the moviestory by Zhang Yimou? About concubines? If it's true, then it's double exciting to hear that it's performed by National Dance of China, as the story itself did not receive a nod from the Communist Party (pls see below).

---

The Chinese government didn't approve of Raise the Red Lantern, and, if you look just below the simple-yet-effective surface story, it's easy to understand why. As structured, this film can be seen as a parable for the corruption of modern society in China. Songlian is the individual, the master is the government, and the customs of the house are the laws of the country. It's an archaic system that rewards those who play within the rules and destroys those who violate them. And, when an atrocity occurs (as it did in Tiannamen Square), not only is culpability denied, but the entire incident is claimed not to have happened.

---

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:45 am 
Yes, Raise the Red Lantern is based on the film by Zhang Yimou.

I saw the Guangzhou Ballet's production of "Mei Lanfang" last December in Hong Kong. Here is my review in the Ballet.co magazine.

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_04/jan04/kn_rev_guangzhou_1203.htm

The company has a website.

http://www.gzballet.com

<small>[ 14 August 2004, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>