public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ABT in Asia 2000
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 7:25 pm 
The American Ballet Theatre is currently on a tour in Asia. I look forward to their performances here in Hong Kong next week. (DV8 will visit HK in the following week too.) I did a preview for "HomeNotHome", a local leisure magazine.
http://homenothome.com/Hnh/Living/Living_ArtCulture.cfm?city=HK&CellId=1019 &FileName=Art_sep_27.htm

[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited September 28, 2000).]

<small>[ 23 November 2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Post subject: Re: ABT in Asia 2000
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:44 pm 

Thanks for the link to your interesting article Kevin. I wish ABT would come to London, but I don't know who would fund it.<P>I'm off to see DV8 tonight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 4:46 pm 
The ABT is opening the Hong Kong tour tonight with Don Q. I interviewed artistic director Kevin McKenzie briefly yesterday. Here is my preview in today's "Hong Kong iMail". <A HREF="http://www.hk-imail.com/iconnect/public/article_v.cfm?articleid=9177&intcatid=18" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hk-imail.com/iconnect/public/article_v.cfm?articleid=9177&intcatid=18</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 03, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 2:00 am 
The opening night of Don Q last night got a wonderful reception from the audience, who was impressed by ABT's dancing of such high quality which is of course much superior to what is normally on offer from Hong Kong Ballet.<P>Having seen the Kirov version of Don Q in London in August, I do prefer that production. I miss some of ABT's big stars like Malakhov, Ferri, Stiefel who are not on this Asian tour.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 08, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 8:56 am 

American Ballet Theater is coming to Orange County Performing Arts Theater, Costa Mesa, California on December 19 - 24th, 2000. As far as I can tell they are only dancing Cinderella. I bought my season tickets last year some time.<P>I usually stay overnight at the Marriott behind the theater that way I don't have to drive the hundred miles home late at night, BUT - more importantly I get to see the dancers are breakfast (those who get up for breakfast LOL) the next morning. <P>We get so little truly professional dance in this area, that whatever we get, I am most grateful !!<P>Watching the Maryinski (Kirov) dancers at breakfast is a really interesting experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 3:24 pm 

Isn't that what being a moderator is about? Tantalizing and wanting to hear more? LOL <P> Well, the last time I saw the Maryinski dancers at breakfast at the Marriott Hotel was around Christmas time three years or so ago. They were very poorly dressed - not just jeans and such - just poorly dressed. Several had rather severe sun burns, they are not used to our sun, even in the winter. The hotel serves a breakfast buffet (all you can eat), which most Americans would consider a normal breakfast - no specialty items - except, perhaps, made to order omelettes. <P>The dancers were taken by surprise that smoking is not allowed inside public areas - at all - in California. They were politely told this by the management - and with varying degrees of unhappiness, complied. We also noticed that when they arrived in twos and threes at the restaurant, they did not greet one another - but seemed rather glum - or maybe just tired. There was no camaraderie.<P>What caught my attention was how they descended on the food - especially the fruit. Bananas and oranges were treated as very precious objects. They disappeared inside purses, into jacket pockets, literally by the armful. The hotel responded by bringing out an entire basket of fruit and dumping it on the table - which the dancers, in very short order, emptied. <P>Right across from the theater is one of the largest shopping malls in Southern California and it was crowded and beautifully decorated for the holidays. We espied the dancers walking through the mall - and never saw any of them carrying any sort of package. At a mall restaurant we saw three of the principal ballerinas counting out their change very carefully and then sharing one rather small salad. This was a real change from previous years when they would come back to the hotel from a shopping trip with their arms full of things they had bought. I found it sad - these are the children of Theater Street - very special indeed.<P>I could also tell you about the time the Royal Danish Ballet stayed at the hotel - and I got to see the Danish men - in the hotel swimming pool - but that is another subject entirely!!!<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 5:45 pm 
Basheva, your experience with the Kirov dancers is most interesting to read. I know that the Kirov dancers like fruits.<P>In the Kirov's London seasons this past summer, I did some interviews in the Royal Opera House, and I lunched with the dancers afterwards in the staff canteen. They certainly had plenty of fruits.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 05, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 9:16 pm 

Basheva wrote:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>We also noticed that when they arrived in twos and threes at the restaurant, they did not greet one another - but seemed rather glum - or maybe just tired. There was no camaraderie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Darcey Bussell danced with the Kirov as a guest a few years ago and the friendly Ms Bussell had a hard time apparently. Dancers were surprised when she smiled at them and there was none of the supportive help from colleagues that occurs in companies like the RB and SFB. I suppose that the competition for lead roles helps create this negative atmosphere. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 11:35 pm 
Well, but Bussell was guesting in the Kirov, and I think that the dancers there just expected her to prove her worth to justify her being there. But I did notice a lot of camaderie amongst the Kirov dancers from my experience with them this summer.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 08, 2000).]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:51 am 
Taipei is the lucky city seeing the ABT this week. Their Hong Kong season ended triumphantly last Saturday with two performances of the mixed bill. I haven't heard such thunderous applause from a dance audience in Hong Kong for ages. Angel Corella, in particular, dazzled the local audience - normally starved of such star-studded glamour - with his powerful multiple pirouettes in Le Corsaire pas de deux. Other highlights included Julie Kent resplendent in Balanchine's masterpiece "Theme and Variations" partnered by Marcelo Gomes, Giuseppe Picone in Sleeping Beauty pas de deux with Irina Dvorovenko.<P>The Martha Graham work "Diversion of Angels" was interesting, but the Lar Lubovich "Meadow" was a bore.<P>The Hong Kong government's Cultural Services Department should be congratulated for bringing a top ballet company like the ABT to Hong Kong, raising enormously our cultural profile. This has been a very good year for ballet, particularly this ABT tour and the summer tour by Pacific Northwest Ballet several months ago.<P>Update 16 Oct. - here is my review on Ballet.co.uk<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_00/nov00/kn_rev_abt_1000.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_00/nov00/kn_rev_abt_1000.htm</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 16, 2000).]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 4:03 am 

Once again, many thanks Kevin for the report on the reception of ABT in HK. <P>On Darcey at the Kirov, my impression is that her natural friendliness was not returned and that she had the impression that frosty relations between many of the dancers was normal. Two people I know went out to see her performances and when Darcey met them she was over the Moon to have anybody who treated her with friendliness. <P> <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 6:23 am 

It just seemed to me, that when one passes one's fellow workers in a dining room - there is usually some sort of recognition -the merest nod of the head - SOMETHING. It just struck me and my husband as odd, there was NO recognition. If I hadn't known they were members of the same company - I would have thought they were absolute strangers to one another. Maybe it's a cultural thing. <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited October 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 2:38 pm 

Image <P>Paloma Herrera rehearsing 'Don Q'. Photo by Rosalie O'Connor<P>Our regular contributor Kevin Ng reviews the ABT tour to HK, covering the mixed bill and 'Don Q'.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/992.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/992.html</A> <P> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail