public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ross Stretton's resignation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:41 am 

I have just read on the BBC web site that Ross Stretton has resigned. The news is featured on their stop press at the top of the page saying that details are to follow.

<small>[ 10-21-2002, 10:07: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ross Stretton's resignation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:59 am 
I can't find it on the BBC website. I wonder who will be Stretton's successor.

<small>[ 09-25-2002, 09:14: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:01 am 

Press Release from the ROH website

Quote:
Royal Ballet Press Release 25 September 2002

PRESS RELEASE – 25 September 2002

ROSS STRETTON TO LEAVE THE ROYAL BALLET

Ross Stretton, Director of The Royal Ballet today announced his resignation. He was appointed Director in March 2000. He took up his post in August 2001 following the retirement of Sir Anthony Dowell.

Ross Stretton commented

“The last eighteen months have been enormously challenging and rewarding both professionally and personally. Even though I have enormous respect for the great heritage of this Company, my interest lies primarily in developing the future of ballet, and that is what I want to spend my time doing. I have discussed this matter with the Royal Opera House Board, and I feel that I am choosing the most appropriate course of action. I am delighted that I have had the opportunity to experience this remarkable company first hand, and work with a team of dedicated and world-class dancers and artists. I feel I am leaving The Royal Ballet in the same good health that it was in when I arrived here, and wish the dancers and staff all best wishes for a successful future, in particular over the coming Season”.

Sir Colin Southgate said

“It is with deep regret that I have accepted the resignation of Ross Stretton with immediate effect. I would like to thank him for his work over the last twelve months and in the period building up to his arrival here. The Royal Ballet has been introduced to some new and interesting works under Ross’s stewardship. In the last Season he has brought us John Cranko’s Onegin and introduced audiences to further work by some of the finest living choreographers, including Mats Ek, and Nacho Duato. As we enter the 2002/3 Season we look forward to seeing further examples of such work, as well as the strong line-up of heritage ballets in particular the work of Sir Kenneth MacMillan and Sir Frederick Ashton. Ross has also nurtured remarkable talents within the Company including new Principals.

Until a new Director is appointed, Monica Mason, Assistant Director, has generously agreed to lead the Company, with Anthony Russell-Roberts continuing in his role as Administrative Director.

Press Enquiries:

Director of Press
Christopher Millard
Tel: 020 7212 9458
Fax: 020 7212 9724
Email: Christopher.Millard@roh.org.uk

And the BBC link

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:23 am 

"....my interest lies primarily in developing the future of ballet, and that is what I want to spend my time doing."

Well, those who are not interested in "developing the future of ballet" will be breaking open the champagne.
There I was chatting to the nice folk who run the Dansmuseet in Stockholm when I caught the news and could hardly believe my eyes. But on second thoughts, after the torrid time he has had from sections of the Press and elsewhere this year, perhaps it shouldn't come as a surprise.

I do feel sorry for Stretton. I am sure that he laid his plans on the table at his appointment interview and the Board clearly decided that they liked his concept and gave him the go ahead.

However, leaving aside this individual case, one wonders, with Kaiser leaving sooner than expected and now Stretton, about the attractiveness of the RB for other top candidates.

The one good bit of news is that the Royal has the experienced, wonderfully talented and sensitive Monica Mason to hold the fort.

Best wishes to Ross Stretton wherever he finds a berth and do carry on "developing the future of ballet".

<small>[ 09-25-2002, 10:25: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:52 am 

Astonishing -- effective immediately! Another search process ahead....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:54 am 

Egads! This may start another series of revolving chairs! If you like your Artistic Directors, hang on tight to them!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:13 am 

Is anyone considering Monica Mason as the next artistic director in her own right? And if not, why not, may I ask?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:33 am 

I heard about this this afternoon - but was shocked to see that it was effective immediately. Quite a surprise to see that Ross was not going to stay out the season that he has set out.

I hope that there may be a more settled period ahead of the RB - its difficult to have true growth and creativity admits managerial turmoil.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:12 am 

Is there someone who can give a brief outline of Stretton's tenure at RB and what the problematic issues have been that would have led to this - or perhaps direct me to thread where it might have been previously discussed?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:19 am 

Wow! Although I had been worried about the dancers for some time, especially after the recent meeting between the ROH and Union chiefs about Stretton's management style, I certainly had not expected that.

I guess the situation must have been more serious than we thought if there did not seem to be any other way of resolving it.

If this was not the case the resignation would hardly have taken immediate effect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:20 pm 

Heavens to Betsy! I find it quite a surprise that it's so sudden. That usually implies a vast amount of pent-up frustration. Hmmm, maybe it's not such a surprise...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:45 pm 

Surprising, no. Shocking, yes. I thought he would have struggled along at least through the season. But if the dancers aren't behind you, that could make going to work every day unbearable.

I have heard from people who worked there that the Royal Opera House and it's resident companies have their own little culture and someone jumping into it must be flexible but tenacious at the same time. I wonder if promoting from within the organizations would be more succesful. :confused:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:47 pm 

Shanti, here are past discussions on Stretton:

&nbsp
Quote:
Ross Stretton

Ross Stretton bounds forward to welcome me into his Royal Opera House office. His style is informal and he has blue, very direct eyes. He wears a T-shirt and what would qualify as a grin rather than a smile - but then he would, wouldn't he?
<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000155 target=_blank>More</a>

&nbsp
Quote:
Programming under Ross Stretton

And everyone critisized Sir Anthony for not producing new works..now Stretton is doing the same..tell me why did we get rid of Anthony if the new guy is just doing the same thing??
<a href=http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000487 target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:55 pm 

Thanks Azlan for posting those. It is truly a jolt that with the new season just getting underway that this unsettlement has occurred. For the good of company morale I hope they find a replacement soon that the dancers can put their trust in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:19 pm 

I second that opinion.

Profile E-mail