public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valery Panov
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:47 pm 

Does anyone know what became of him and his wife, Galina? I recently found his autobiography in a used bookstore. It was written shortly after their leaving the Soviet Union for Israel.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Valery Panov
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 6:37 pm 

I read that autobiography too, JM, and found it very interesting. In the late 1970's I believe it was - or perhaps the early 1980's he and Galina were here in San Diego for a number of performances and I had the good fortune of being in class with him and Galina.<P>Watching them rehearse the grand pas de deux from Nutcracker was an awesome experience. Those off balance, high over the head, one handed lifts are exciting from the audience, but even more thrilling in a studio rehearsal.<P>I know they did go to Israel for a awhile and also were very active in Germany - and perhaps still are. He was very much into choreography. I have a tape of them at Wolf Trap Farm Park - and at least one of the pieces is his choreography, which I found quite enjoyable.<P>Galina was a very strong dancer and a delight to be around. I did a search on Google and there was 12 pages of information on them.....but I didn't have time to really plow through it all. But, if no one here happens to have any definitive information, you might try that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:12 am 

Thanks Basheva. I did that Google search, found that he was artistic director of the Royal Ballet of Flanders for a couple years in the 1980's. I didn't check all the sites listed yet but so far I can't find anything current about either him or Galina. <P>I'm knee-deep in his autobiography right now. If ever there's a book that depicts the cruelty of the Soviet Union system to its artists, particularly Jewish artists, it's this book. One startling thing in it is the behavior of Irina Kolpakova. At a critical point in Panov's life, just before imprisonment, she, as some kind of officer in the Communist Party and also as the recipient of the "People's Artist" award, publicly condemned him, calling him a "Zionist Fascist". On one of the Google sites, I read a quote from her stating that she wishes now to apologize to him for it. People's livelihoods were so tied into their public avowal of the Communist regime. I don't think we, here in the USA, can ever fully understand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:38 am 

JM - you are right about the discimination against "certain" artists, especially those who were Jewish. <P>Another Jewish family of wonderful dancers and teachers was Prima Ballerina Maya Plisetskaya and her uncle Asaf Messerer. The entire Messerer family was very gifted and involved in dance. As I understand it, Maya's talent was simply too overwhelming to be ignored. And, though she was allowed to tour outside the country, her husband was never allowed to go with her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 9:22 am 

This is grimly fascinating.<BR>Kolpakova, the delicate little Kolpakova said that?!<BR>I think I shall have to go and see those websites.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:38 pm 

As I recall it - and my memory is dimmer than usual here - she was also somehow involved when Nureyev was at the Kirov. She led the contingent that was unhappy with his desires for some freedom.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:21 pm 

I too read Valery's autobiography and found it very inspiring. When they were virtually imprisoned in their own cramped aparment and not allowed to dance...it was just heartbreaking. Like a bird not allowed to sing. I would really love to know what became of them. I understand he was a great character dancer. Very dramatic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:56 pm 

I liked it that Edward Villella made it a point to go visit the Panov's on the NYC Ballet's famous visit to the Soviet Union.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:17 pm 

[color=white]<p>[This message has been edited by Marga Anto-Raudsepp (edited July 11, 2001).]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:52 am 

regardless of the politics of the situation, which i will not address, irina kolpakova was a great ballerina and is a great teacher and coach, as well as a very kind and warm person.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:05 am 

Quote:
Ballet couple thank God for Harold Wilson

by BEN FENTON

Valeri and Galina Panov were two of the most famous dancers in the world, stars of the Kirov Ballet of Leningrad, but they were also Jewish and wished to emigrate. ...

By coincidence, the Bolshoi ballet was due to visit London that summer and Mr Wilson hinted to Vladimir Kirillin, deputy to Andrei Kosygin, the Soviet foreign minister, that the tour might be cancelled unless the Panovs were given permission to leave.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:31 am 

Kolpakova was a very high ranking member of the Party. But many other Kirov stars are also fingered by Panov in his book.

<small>[ 03 January 2005, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: ripowam ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:31 am 

<small>[ 03 January 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: ripowam ]</small>

Profile E-mail