public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kirov/Mariinsky 2002-3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:54 pm 

Hi,

I'm going to St Petersbourg at the end of June (22 - 26 june), and I'd like to see the "White Nights" at Theater Mariinski. Is there anybody that can give me the schedule of the shows ?

Else, It seems that it's two times more expensive for foreigners. Is it true ?
How much does a ticket cost ?
Can we buy tickets the same day?
Can someone give me advice ?

Thanks in advance,

Jérôme

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:20 pm 
Jerome, you can see the schedule in the information that I put down last November.

http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001750

Yes, the ticket prices for foreigners are more expensive than the prices for Russians. And the hotel rates will be more expensive too for the duration of the White Nights Festival. It's cheaper to go for the Mariinsky Festival this month!

By the way, my interview with Diana Vishneva is now in Ballet.co Magazine.

http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_03/feb03/interview_vishneva.htm

<small>[ 20 February 2003, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:45 pm 

Kevin, Thank you very much! :cool:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:37 am 

it's tough being a composer
Photo by Sergey Grachev for St Petersburg Times

The program for the Mariinsky Theater's upcoming international ballet festival, which gets under way next Friday, includes the world premiere of "Princess Pirlipat," a new work conceived as a prelude to Tchaikovsky's perennial favorite "The Nutcracker." "Princess Pirlipat" is based on a part of E.T.A. Hoffman's "Nutcracker and the Mouse King" that was omitted from Tchaikovsky's work. The composer charged with filling Tchaikovsky's shoes for the new ballet is St. Petersburg's Sergei Slonimsky.

The impetus for "Princess Pirlipat" came from choreographer Mikhail Shemyakin who, after the premiere of his new version of "The Nutcracker" at the Mariinsky in February 2001, declared his intention to create a prologue to the ballet based on Hoffman's tale.

Slonimsky is a prolific composer, whose output includes 10 symphonies, six operas and many smaller-format works, such as romances, instrumental duets, trios and suites.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:57 am 

Mariinsky Performs at Bolshoi Exchange
By Raymond Stults for The Moscow Times

Next Friday, St. Petersburg's Mariinsky Theater begins a four-day visit to the stage of the Bolshoi Theater as its part in an annual exchange with the Bolshoi initiated last season under the auspices of the Golden Mask theatrical awards festival. The Bolshoi reciprocates with four performances at the Mariinsky, scheduled to begin Saturday and conclude Wednesday.

Originally, the Mariinsky announced that it would bring two of its nominees for this year's Golden Mask awards: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera "Cosi Fan Tutte" and Sergei Prokofiev's ballet "Cinderella." But for technical reasons, the theater has substituted a pair of ballet programs.

On March 14 and 15, the Mariinsky presents a triple bill comprised of two very early ballets by French choreographer Roland Petit -- "Carmen," which dates from 1949, and "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort," which debuted in 1946 -- and "Middle Duet," the work of acclaimed young Russian choreographer Alexei Ratmansky. Each ballet was premiered at the Mariinsky in 1998.

March 16 and 17 bring "Manon".

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:36 am 
The schedule of their London season has been posted by Brendan McCarthy on Ballet.co.

http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/news/1730.html

And the Kirov will soon premiere "Etudes", "Les Noces", and "Le Sacre du Printemps".

<small>[ 11 March 2003, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:27 pm 
The premieres will take place at the Mariinsky Theatre in April.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill?pbmy=200304

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:46 am 

Ballerinas Shine at Local Mariinsky Shows
By Raymond Stults for The Moscow Times

Last weekend, under the auspices of the Golden Mask theatrical awards festival, St. Petersburg's Mariinsky Theater made its contribution to the current season's exchange of performances with the Bolshoi Theater, bringing to the Bolshoi's stage two programs of ballet, each danced twice during four evening performances.

Friday and Saturday saw a trio of short ballets, two by Frenchman Roland Petit and one by Russian Alexei Ratmansky, each in its way a variation on the theme of death, while Sunday and Monday brought the full-length "Manon" of British choreographer Kenneth MacMillan.

The Petit-Ratmansky triple bill, as seen Friday, proved rather short on dance and long on intermissions, with a mere 70 minutes of the former interrupted by two breaks of more than a half hour each. Nor did it display the Mariinsky's dance troupe at its formidable best.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:09 am 

Conductor Valery Gergiev named UNESCO Artist for Peace
From The Unesco website

27-03-2003 5:00 pm Paris – World renowned conductor Valery Gergiev, Director of St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky Theatre, is to be named UNESCO Artist for Peace through Dialogue Between Cultures and Civilizations by Director-General Koпchiro Matsuura. The nomination ceremony will be held at UNESCO Headquarters on the occasion of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania Days which will be celebrated at UNESCO on March 31 and April 1 in the presence of Alexander Dzasokhov, President of the Caucasian republic, which is part of the Russian Federation.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:41 pm 

Don't know if I'm out of the loop or what, but I just drove past the Kodak Theater here in Hollywood and noticed an ad for the Kirov. The theater website has them performin "La Beyedere" October 15 - 19th, 2003. Anyone have more information on this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:37 pm 
Yes, that is right. The Kirov will tour America this autumn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:52 pm 

The week after the Kirov appears at the Kodak this October, they will also perform three nights of mixed rep at the Orange County Performing Arts Center and then four weekend performances of "Jewels." I'm not sure which program I'm more looking forward to - both probably. An interesting note about the run at the Kodak: they'll be doing the full length, old-new "La Bayadere," which goes way back and reconstructs all the old choreography. However, this might mean a very very long evening in a style that might seem outdated, or if it will be exciting. Any thoughts?

--Art

<small>[ 08 April 2003, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: art076 ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:32 am 

No SF performances?

Argh. We always get the short end of the touring stick up north ... :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:48 pm 

It has to do with space... and possibly concentration of theatergoers...

There is not enough good, large theaters in SF and there is a lot of competition in the form of high-quality dance companies here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:23 pm 
Art, I strongly recommend you to see the Kirov's reconstruction of La Bayadere, which is now the definitive version of this classic. It's a sumptuous spectacle. I've now seen it three times in St. Petersburg, and I didn't find its length of four hours too long.

<small>[ 17 April 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next