public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tamara Rojo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:30 am 

On Sturday 14th July Tamara will be interviewed on Classic FM at 11.00pm-12.00 midnight , about life as a prima ballerina etc.

Post subject: Re: Tamara Rojo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:36 am 

Thanks sugar plum fairy - useful information. If you get the chance to hear it why not tell us about what the wonderful Tamara says. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:39 am 

will try.. depends if i'm on call that weekend..hope not! will record it if i am.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:06 am 

Tamara Rojo
Intense and driven by insecurity, the ballerina has blossomed at Covent Garden.

Clifford Bishop [The Times] hails the Royal Ballet’s Spanish star

Quote:
To paraphrase one of Tamara Rojo’s favourite English-language authors, for a ballet dancer to lose more than one artistic director in less than four years might be regarded as a misfortune; to lose three looks like carelessness. Having left Derek Deane’s English National Ballet in the summer of 2000, then watched the departures of Anthony Dowell and Ross Stretton from the Royal Ballet, Rojo could be forgiven for feeling unsettled in what she describes as her “new home” at Covent Garden.
more...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:00 am 

Best of times, worst of times: Tamara Rojo
By Sue Fox [The Times]

Quote:
On the eve of an Australian tour, the principal dancer Tamara Rojo, 29, faced the end of a brilliant career. She recalls how, instead of starring in Swan Lake, she ended up under the surgeon's knife

Last May, the man who made my ballet shoes retired. The timing was bad for me. I was preparing for a big show, and it's always best to change over slowly to a new shoemaker. I need two or three pairs of shoes a night when I'm performing.
more...

What a terrible, terrible thing to have happened to a dancer. Infections like that can kill you if they spread into the blood, let alone ruin the dancer's career.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Brief interview with Tamara Roja
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 am 

Tamara Roja features in today's Guardian

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/danc ... 69,00.html

Not sure what to make of her comment:

Quote:
Spain has no ballet companies at all

Has Angel Corella gone out of business?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm 

I'm not sure she is being accurate in her statement. She could be exaggerating for affect. Ballerinas, after all, can be quite the drama queens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 am 

One has to remember that she also tried to start a ballet company in Spain :wink:

In Barcelona there is a ballet company if one can describe as “Ballet Company” a small company with a very good on Pointe work, mainly performing neoclassical pieces of its director David Campos but that has also reviewed, adapted to its small size, Nutcracker and Don Quijote.

They also have a ballet school. One of their very best pupils has been Aleix Martínez the winner of this year’s “Prix de Lausanne”. This can give an idea o how well they work, even if they have very serious troubles to keep their company on as the Catalan government is not much willing to help classical companies, so silly it can seem :evil:

In Madrid, there is Victor Ullate's company, neoclassical also, and other small neoclassical companies, such as Carmen Roche's, Juan Carlos Santamaría,…

As far as Ángel Corella is concerned, his Company “Corella Ballet” is already rehearsing in La Granja. It is made up of 51 dancers selected from a thousand applicants (4 apprentices, 22 female corps, 14 male corps, 3 soloists, 2 first soloists, and 6 principals), coming from 13 countries (Spain, Cuba, the United States, the United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, Ireland, Japan, Lithuania, Russia, Portugal, Argentina and Kazakstan).

The official premiere of "Corella Ballet" will be with La Bayadere (Natalia Makarova) at the Teatro Real in Madrid, in September 4, 2008. Although already on July 11 and 12, the "Corella Ballet" will perform at La Granja (Segovia) where the Company is set. The program will be “Clear ” of Stanton Welch; “Bruch Violín Concerto nº 1”, of Clark Tippet and “In the Upper Room”, of Twyla Tharp.

We have published a Press Releasein fotoescena (just scroll down but it is in Spanish) If I’m able to get it in English or find time to sum up it, I’ll post it here.

We are very exited about :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am 

A lengthy piece about women in the arts, scroll down for the mention of Tamara Roja near the end.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/visualar ... 37,00.html

Apparently Roja would be:

Quote:
........a stellar successor to Wayne Eagling at English National Ballet.

Does this mean that Eagling is about to move on?

Profile E-mail