public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Kirov in London 2003: general chat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:00 pm 

Actually, while their salaries are not something you could live on in the US, Russian dancers make more money than many other Russian professions do. Additionally, the major theatres tend to get significant cash flows from touring, which helps out as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:25 am 

The dancers must really recognise the differences when they're touring - their daily allowances are extremely low and hardly capable of buying anything in London.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:28 pm 

Maybe not, but they do have "decent" cash flows when touring, unlike the average Russian citizen. (Note: that sum is different when they're on home base of course)

In fact, I was told by a reliable source that a day's touring wage for a corps member (whether they perform that day or not) is about 1/3 of the *monthly* earnings of the average Russian. That isn't to say the salaries are high, but a day's rate is on a par with American ballet companies I believe.

<small>[ 08 August 2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Catherine Pawlick ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:19 am 

But the rates are low - £10 a day in London is nothing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:48 am 

"When I went to Mariinsky, there were passionate persons. It would have been interesting to know their opinion on the dancers and on the organization of the theatre."
Some of those 'passionate people' who really know 'the organization of the theatre' are presumably quite close to the company and will be reluctant - and rightly so - to express their opinion and unavoidable criticism publicly. It is similar to what you feel towards your own children or close friends: you see their faults and imperfections but will not declare publicly: see all, my daughter has crooked legs! I am sure this opinion will be seen as controversial by some but it is my guess.
On a different topic now. A few days ago I saw here a line: "Moscow is still quite oriental." ??? I sincerely would like to know what prompted such an impression?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:40 am 

emma,

are you referring to a per diem, or a day's pay? Because my source told me their day's pay was certainly well above the amount you noted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:59 am 

Coda, you are right. I would like that Russians give their impressions on the spectacles of Bolshoï or Kirov in English without telling for all that things confidential. Moreover, there is a forum on the site of Kirov but it is practically in Cyrillic alphabet... :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:31 am 

Emma -in reference to the dancers income,when you interviewed the dancers, did you get the sense that they were mostly happy and excited to be on tour,or overwelming frustrated with their financial situation? I would think that to be a young dancer, visiting London, dancing at Covent Garden, must be like a dream to some of them, even at 10 pounds a day. ( or am i just being a niave American :) ).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:59 am 

We just got our tickets in the mail today. I have to say that this is the highest price I have ever paid for Zellerbach Hall. Does $110.00 seem steep to you? My husband is still in shock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:01 am 

Lucy --
I'm in full agreement. I couldn't afford the seats I wanted. At these prices, even the *peanut gallery* seats are expensive! however at the same time, I'm convinced they'll be sold out at Zellerbach, if they're not already. Especially since this is their first visit here in over 10 yrs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:52 pm 

What my husband actually said was "these seats better come with a lap dance". I was going to ask to see a second performance, but I think I will just let it go for now. I know they will be sold out. I can't wait.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:16 pm 

110 x 2 $220
Gas 5
Wine x 4 20
Dinner 100
Hotel 150

---------------
$495

A night at the Kirov " Priceless" ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6