public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kirov in London 2003: general chat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:37 am 

Quote:
So, what's your favorite company between the two?
One aways needs to be careful picking favorites, but, hypothetically, if there was going to be an asteriod strike the Earth Saturday morning, and I had two sets of box seats, one to see the Bolshoi Swan Lake and one to see the Kirov DonQ, and I had a beautiful date -perhaps Marie Agnes Gillot-( we are talking hypothetical here, and this is my last day on earth fantasy :) :) , then I would see the Bolshoi.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:12 am 

Matthew, perhaps your date would prefer that you chuck both sets of tickets and fly to Paris to see POB!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:57 pm 

okay okay okay okay hollld the show here.

I'm not going to comment on the "favorite" question aside from saying that the question itself has the potential to well... start a LONG debate. ;-) (i was going to say 'war', but I dont think ballet lovers tend to be the warlike types. Then again, i could be mistaken. ;-))

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:35 pm 

A c'mon, Catherine. We're all adults here. You're an expert on things Russian -- we want your opinion! ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:40 pm 

okay. I think you already know my answer though! ;-)

First i wanted to answer your question, Azlan, from page two of this thread. The last time the Kirov was in San Francisco (full company) was, I believe, 11 years ago, in 1992. It's possible they were in L.A. 10 years ago, but the full company *i do not believe* has been on the west coast at all since then. (By full company, I am discounting individual Russian Kirov members who may have guested over here since then under various troupe names). It's funny -- we had a slew of Bolshoi/Kirov/Bolshoi tours here around that year-or-two period and then bam. Dry spell. I only remember bc my sister and I would camp out and spend our only money seeing the performances (it was a choice between dinner or ballet... and we chose the latter!) Ah the good times. I'm wondering if that pattern is beginning again, since last October we had the Bolshoi here, and now, a year later, comes the Kirov. (the dancing gods are smiling on the Bay Area! whatever we're doing, let's keep doing it!!) ;0)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:44 pm 

Wait, where's the real answer to the real question?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:27 am 

;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:41 am 

Hello!

Matthew, in London, the level of life is approximately 30 % more expensive than Paris. But salaries in London are as a consequence. I hope to see a ballet to London towards the end of the year.

You spoke about "CD celebration". It takes place towards which period ? Can you explain me, please...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:01 pm 

Another question:
All the main Americans theaters are subsidized?

In France, the state subsidizes approximately 92 millions Euros (59 % of the budget) for Paris Opera.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:40 pm 

Ha ha. American theatres, subsidized? Not to that extent. I don't have figures, and someone else probably has more information than I do, but generally the arts funding in our nation has been a historical source of concern for arts supporters. We have a few governmental arts organizations who do give grants to large theatres/companies. (The NEA is one). But that's not a static amount each year by any means, and most outlets need to apply for NEA funds, they're not just doled out. (again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

The party/president/congress in office has some impact on the % of funds given to the arts. In general though, the number is never big enough in America. "We" prefer to pay baseball players millions of dollars each year... ;-P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:25 pm 

Well, here in California, we just cut the state funding for the arts (California Arts Council) 94%. From $18.2 million to less than $1 million. For the whole state.

Hmmm...:
- CA Budget for Prisons & corrections: $5.1 billion
- cost of making "Titanic" the movie: $200 million
- football/soccer star David Beckham's salary at Manchester United: $8 million /year.

<small>[ 05 August 2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: mehunt ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:58 pm 

Sale of Zinedine Zidane from Juventus to Real Madrid: a one-time fee of USD 66 million in 2001 currency.

Cost of temporary TV set at the US Central Command in Doha during the Iraq war: a mere USD 0.25 million.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:59 pm 

And, seeing Russian classical ballet -- high art-- at its best, in your home city:

priceless.

(only, unlike the commercial, i am *not* kidding)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:44 pm 

And you can just imagine how little Russian ballet dancers get paid, can't you? Dancers generally are low-paid of course, but for a company of their stature and 'tourability' - they clearly do it for love.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:59 pm 

What a pity there are not (or few) russian Internet users on this forum. When I went to Mariinsky, there were passionate persons. It would have been interesting to know their opinion on the dancers and on the organization of the theater.

<small>[ 07 August 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: * jerome * ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next