All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kirov in the SF Bay Area, 2003 - Preview
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:41 am 

From the SF Chronicle.

Quote:
Kirov dancers hold tradition aloft
Veteran Ayupova, young star Pavlenko to perform in Berkeley

Catherine Pawlick, Special to The Chronicle

St. Petersburg, Russia -- Zhanna Ayupova has 20 years of experience on the job; Daria Pavlenko's career is just getting started. Still, the two dancers share many common bonds...

And both Ayupova and Pavlenko will adorn the Zellerbach stage this week, when Cal Performances presents the return of the Kirov to the Bay Area for the first time in more than 10 years. What unites the two women is the 200-year- old tradition of Russian classical ballet.
more...

<small>[ 17 April 2005, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kirov in the SF Bay Area, 2003 - Preview
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:16 pm 

Way to go, Catherine!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:51 pm 

Thanks! I am hoping the print version has some of the photos...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:49 pm 

It seems so strange to read about Ayupova being the senior ballerina on this tour. All I've seen of the Kirov since the '60s is the videos, and I didn't start collecting those until about 3 years ago. I never thought much about how old the videos are, but in the ones I have, Ayupova is near the start of her career. In The Leningrad Legend, the documentary in which Makarova returns to the Kirov and the school for the first time since her defection, she singles out Ayupova as her favorite among the new crop of ballerinas at that time. I agree. She was the one I thought had the most easy and natural ballerina look in her upper body.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:10 am 

Yes. I think part of the problem is, as you said, last *we* saw her, she was just beginning. I remember seeing her here on their last tour in the Odalisque trio in Corsaire, and in Fairy Doll. But since the troupe hasn't been here in ... 11 years ... we have missed some of the highlights of her career. Not there isn't still much to be seen as far as she is concerned, but now there's already a new crop of younger ballerinas that the media is focusing on. Zhanna has, in my opinion, always had an undefinable quality -- an old school refinement of style if you will -- that I think truly sets her apart.

When I saw her in June in St. Petersburg as Aurora she was truly amazing. On a par with Fonteyn in terms of it all seemed *effortless* but it was also all perfect! Not only technically but emotionally/dramatically. To me that's more important than gumby-legs, etc...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:51 am 
Catherine, your article is very interesting.

According to the latest information which I just heard, Zhanna Ayupova won't be coming to Berkeley.

<small>[ 05 October 2003, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:55 am 

Bummer. However, in my few dealings, I have found information to be rather open to interpretation. More than a few times, I have sources close to the individuals (like family members for example) who have provided me with conflicting information. So, all I can say is stay-tuned...

And wonderful article in the SF Chronicle, Catherine! Even if Zhanna doesn't make an appearance, the piece clearly underlines the grandeur and importance of the Kirov and why every US West Coast balletomane should make an effort to see them.

BTW, folks, watch for Catherine's reviews. Her deep knowledge of Russian (ballet, people, culture and language) makes her a great observer of this ballet company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:23 pm 

I think "an old school refinement of style" is an excellent way to put it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:28 am 

Thanks guys! You make me feel so welcome here!

If Zhanna isn't coming, that will be a large disappointment. When I last spoke with Vasiev, she was on the casting lists, esp for opening night of Jewels on Friday, but that was a while ago. We shall wait and see. I am sure many alterations have been made to the casting given the changes with Zakharova and the demands of touring. Still... I'm excited to see whoever appears on stage!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:16 pm 

Another excellent preview by a member of the CriticalDance team, this one by MEHunt:

Quote:
The Kirov -- old and new Director moves ballet in fresh direction while appreciating its classical heritage

Mary Ellen Hunt
Contra Costa Times

Quick, name a famous ballet dancer.

Mikhail Baryshnikov? Anna Pavlova? Rudolf Nureyev? <a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/entertainment/6938333.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:18 pm 

And a couple in the San Jose paper:

Quote:
Kirov updates its repertoire
RENOWNED RUSSIAN BALLET COMPANY ADDS WORKS BY FOKINE, BALANCHINE

Anita Amirrezvani
San Jose Mercury News

When the Kirov Ballet visits the Bay Area this week -- for the first time in a dozen years -- the crown jewel of classical Russian dance will have a bright new sparkle. <a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/living/6938005.htm target=_blank>more</a>
Quote:
Kirov's diverse programs
ROMANTIC `CHOPINIANA,' `JEWELS' TRILOGY FEATURED

Anita Amirrezvani
San Jose Mercury News

The two programs being presented by the Kirov at UC-Berkeley's Zellerbach Hall Tuesday through Sunday couldn't be more different. <a href=http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/6928542.htm target=_blank>more</a>

<small>[ 05 October 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:19 pm 

The excitement begins tomorrow! Actually, I think some serious balletomanes are already jumping up and down tonight...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:28 pm 

Azlan speaks the truth!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:30 pm 

By the way, I spoke to a company member on Sunday. Apparently plans have changed and Zhanna won't be performing here as originally planned.

*ochen zhall*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:03 am 

Love it! What a grand opening night, with a full and enthusiastic house. There were so many good performances, I don't know where to begin. I think my highlights are the corps in "Chopiniana" and Uliana Lopatkina in "Scheherazade."

My one tiny complaint is that having both "Scheherazade" and "The Firebird" on the same, 3-hour, program is rather intense...

Profile E-mail