public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Diary - Sunday, Day minus 1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:47 am 

Sunday is a cloudy day here in London with occasional showers, but mild. As is well known, London is ahead of the US and especially San Francisco. Well, not in everything, but certainly in time. <P>It's 3.30pm and SFB had class this morning and now there are rehearsals in the studios with time on stage later today. The change-over with La Scala is not quite completed, so some of the rehearsals to date have been in small studios with the door open to allow enough space. However, access to all the large, beautiful studios of the ROH should be possible soon, now that the La Scala season has finished.<P>The SFB dancers are impressed with the facilities of the ROH, which will make their lives easier this week. The geography of the building still defeats them of course, but it beats everybody. I got lost once and asked a member of staff.....and she got lost! The SFB technical staff are also impressed with the ROH lighting and other technical arrangements. That's good to hear as there were problems when it first opened, but they seem to be a thing of the past.<P>All the SFB performers and staff are excited to be in London and are looking forward to the week greatly. The whole Company are here and the usual SFB policy of giving everyone a chance is in operation. Some leading Principals are only dancing in 3 of the 7 performances. <P>They have some UK support as one of the guest conductors is Paul Hoskins, who audiences here will have seen directing everything from pan-pipes to Stravinsky with Rambert Dance Company. He is sharing the podium each night with Neal Stulberg as they conduct the excellent Royal Ballet Sinfonia. I was told that Paul is a big hit with the dancers as he is very accomadating with regard to tempi. <P>I suspect that a lot of the SFB team are now keen to get the show on the roadand release the inevitable build-up of tension. But there's no need to worry, we're going to love it, I'm sure. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Diary - Sunday, Day minus 1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 8:03 am 

Thanks, Stuart, for the report. I hope the dancers adjust quickly. It's still Sunday morning back here in SF; we are all sending positive thoughts to our boys and girls over there.<P>I have messages for a couple of the dancers from friends and relatives over here when you have the chance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 8:05 am 

Stuart's article is now e-published, with a couple of photos, at:<P><a href=../../../sfb/sfblondon2001day0.html target=_blank><B>A Diary: Sunday, Day Minus 1 of San Francisco Ballet's Season in London, Summer 2001</B></a><BR>Stuart Sweeney, criticaldance.com<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited August 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 9:47 am 

Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]