public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trajets - ICA installation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 11:21 am 

Image <P><B>Trajets</B><BR>Investigations into the (r)evolutions of dance and digital technologies. <P>Here is the description for this installation from the ICA website:<P><BR><B>A great leap forward in the dance experience</B><P>Dance, digital images, sound and architecture combine in this haunting installation. <BR>Custom written vision-sensing and 'force field' software simulates a magnetic interaction between the visitor and 12 suspended screens, mesmerisically dancing with the visitor - some following, some guiding, and some shying away. Projected images of moving bodies are abstracted by kinetic patterns of structure and light. Created by an international collective of artists, Trajets was co-produced with the Banff Centre for the Arts as part of the Canadian Cultural Innovation Initiative and is supported by the Arts Council of England, Canada Council for the Arts and Stentor Communications.<P><BR>Here are the calendar details from the <A HREF="http://www.danceumbrella.co.uk/menu.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>Dance Umbrella website</B></A>. Click on the coloured dates for programme information and on the venue name for theatre details.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trajets - ICA installation
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:37 am 

Trajets is a small, but distinctive pleasure. In a darkened space, about 10 curved sheets of scrim are suspended from the ceiling and can turn in response to motion sensors. It works best apparently when there are 4 or so people interacting with the installation. White light and images are projected onto the sheets. There is some Brian Eno-like ambient sound. <P>As I wandered about I saw moire patterns on the sheets and curved lines on the faces of the other spectators as the light fell on them from through the scrims. The occasional images are broken by the separation of the scrims and provide an range of abstract textures. <P>I was fascinated by the movement of the sheets and whether it was random or really due to my walking about at different speeds. A toddler was equally fascinated. Overall, a good 15-20 minutes of visual experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:39 pm 

Image <P>A link to the <A HREF="http://www.trajets.net" TARGET=_blank><B>Trajets website</B></A> which includes some QuickTime movies of the screens and an overall description of the project.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Trajets is a movement based installation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>It's interesting how visual art that features 'movement' is making its way into the dance festival circuit. It certainly is challenging my perceptions of 'dance'... <P><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited October 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:32 am 

I really wanted to like this installation, it sounded so great in the programme and on the website.<P>However, I it didn't seem to me that the suspended scrim moved in response to my movement, it just wasn't apparent enough. Also, I felt that the images projected on to the scrim were so random and so distorted, it was hard to tell if it was even dance. <P>The description of the piece as the bees knees in terms of innovation in dance and technology, lured me but sadly, Trajets is a victim of the classic case of the work simply not living up to the hype. <P>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:41 am 

Christine, I've been wondering myself what "Electronic Dance" is supposed to be. Some people think it's machines generating human-like movement, as in this case with Trajets. I don't know that I'm completely sold on the concept, ie., I'm not so sure I want to throw the human element out in order to show off technology. And I'm a person who likes technology a lot (I design websites, etc.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 2:17 am 

I think sometimes that when dancers get a hold of new technology, they want to do everything with it at once. <P>but technology, like dance, has a technique to it and it is a discipline that has to be learned. i'm the last person who is a techno-phobe, in fact i love technology, especially when it is integrated into the arts. but i guess because the use of new technology and dance is relatively new, everyone is still learning.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]