public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Dancing Men (& Boys)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:50 am 

Quote:
Learning new steps

Nicole C. Wong
San Jose Mercury News

On Tuesday nights, 13-year-old Alex Nee strides into his school's cafeteria wearing a tuxedo with tails. He's ready and -- amazingly -- willing to waltz. <a href=http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/education/10121581.htm?1c target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:54 am 

OK, (bracing for backlash) so while I acknowledge the ever-increasing need for male dancers, I often feel kind of...how can I say...I feel like they often get unfair treatment and have many opportunities open to them based solely on their gender, not on their technical or performative ability. I understand that many men and boys need an extra incentive to start and continue dancing, but as a female dancer I sometimes feel like I am overlooked in favor of male dancers for scholarships, grants, gender-neutral roles in choreographies, etc.....I don't mean to sound spiteful, but it gets a little annoying after a while. I feel like I work so hard and get less recognition for my efforts and achievements than if I was a man in the same position. Am I the only one that feels this way?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:49 am 

Quote:
Boys leap at the chance to dance

Sarah Koenig
Redmond Reporter Staff
King County Journal

Several years ago, David O'Hara took a ballet class, but dropped out because children at school made fun of him. <a href=http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/182153 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:30 pm 

To Shallom: ding ding ding!

On the one hand, I support the equivalent -- ie, recruiting for women in fields in which women tend to be underrepresented. I think it's vital and incredibly important.

On the other hand, I get miffed, *especially* when it is so often the case that men get choreographic and AD roles at a rate that seems to me as wildly disproportionate to the number of men coming up through the ranks. That's another discussion for more educated people.

I don't know how to resolve these two things -- internal logical consistency vs. what my gut is telling me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:55 pm 

Shalom, it is not just you who gets annoyed at the fact that men and boys are rewarded for their gender. In fact many women I've come across resent it.

It seems that this favouritism is a compensation for the public attitude towards males and dance. If the dance industry makes life too difficult for men, and the rest of the world makes life too difficult for men, then life's just too dificult for men in dance and there are no male dancers.

For women and girls it's quite glamourous to be a ballerina, so they tend not to have to overcome the attitudes of the rest of the world to pursue their calling. Men on the other hand have often staked their credibility, and indeed sacrificed their right to community with other men, to dance. Therefore, in light of that much greater sacrifice, the extra attention and sensitivity given to men and boys in dance is a little more justified.

To be a truly gender-equal industry, the general attitude to men and boys in dance needs to change. Like racism, such a huge cultural change can only happen slowly, over a couple of generations, to have a lasting effect. Sure, movies like Billy Elliot and male dance programmes will help, but it will be a slow evolutionary process, which I believe has alredy begun.

So until we reach this ideal, it seems we will need to continue to coax men into the dance industry with special classes, scholarships and bursaries, good roles in performances, extra attention in class, and in a million other ways. I'm not saying it's right, but it is necessary.

<small>[ 07 January 2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Failli ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:51 pm 

An unusual situation. This company lacked girls good enough, so a man has to dance Snow Queen:

Quote:
Male Dancer, Sans Tutu, Will Dance Role of Snow Queen in Tajikistan

By Emily Quinn
Playbill

In the Tajikistan state ballet’s production of The Snow Queen ... the title role will be played by a male dancer... <a href=http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/1214.html target=_blank>more</a>
&nbsp

Quote:
Snow Queen or drag queen?

Reuters via Yahoo! News

DUSHANBE (Reuters) - Tajikistan's state ballet has had to ask one its male dancers to take the lead role in a production of Snow Queen because there are no women who can dance the part. <a href=http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050120/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_tajikistan_ballet_1 target=_blank>more</a>

<small>[ 23 January 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:30 am 

Quote:
Lord of the dance Youth, 17, breaks stereotypes to perform

BRE LINSTROMBERG
The Telegraph

WHITE HALL -- The sunlight pouring through the windows of a small wing at the front of North Greene High School makes the members of the school’s dance squad squint their eyes as they step through their moves. <a href=http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13852307&BRD=1719&PAG=461&dept_id=25271&rfi=6 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm 

In the Arizona Republic, Vandana Sebastian contributes to the discussion of men in dance.

Arizona Republic

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10