public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: St Petersburg Ballet Theatre ??? Tour
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:29 pm 

Has anyone heard if the St Petersburg Ballet Theatre (Konstantine Tatchkine) is going on tour this year? I saw them in the UK last December and, although they have problems as a young company, they have one or two outstanding performers and I'd be interested to see how they and the company have progressed in the last 12 months.
Their web site seems to be run by someone who is ex-KGB as it is VERY uninformative, unless you want to know about their summer season...........
Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks. Nigel

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: St Petersburg Ballet Theatre ??? Tour
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:04 am 

Yes Nigel, they will be touring the UK again this winter. One of my friends is a particular fan of this company and I'll try and coax him to post the details.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:17 am 

The dates are on this website. Scroll down to St Petersburg Ballet Theatre and click on Tour Details underneath. http://www.arts-world.co.uk/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:19 am 
Cassandra, since your friend hasn't posted yet, I'll put down some information. I've followed this company's UK tours since 2000. Most of the company's 50-60 dancers are drawn from the Vaganova Academy, and are fairly young. The company's leading ballerina is Irina Kolesnikova, whom I initially found rather dull and inexpressive despit her very strong technique, but she has improved a lot last season. I was very impressed by her Giselle which she only danced for the first time in Oxford about a year ago.

Kolesnikova is normally partnered by the tall principal dancer Yuri Gloukhikh, who is a natural danseur noble, and very talented. Another outstanding principal is Sergey Pevnev who is an ex-Kirov dancer. Last season I noticed Andrei Yakhnuk, an up-and-coming soloist who has a very clean classical technique.

The company's repertory is however very limited, consisting only of the Petipa classics which they dance both at home and on their UK tours. Their stagings are mostly based on the Kirov versions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:05 am 

I saw their performance of "The Sleeping Beauty" earlier this year , but i'm miffed that the Festival Theatre Edinburgh has turned them down when they wanted to perform at the venue again .They could easily have squeezed them in , after all the performances were well attended so i don't see what the problem is??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:43 am 

sugar plum I can understand your frustration at not having the chance to see the St. P. Ballet Theatre Over Christmas. However, running a theatre is not an easy business these days and without knowing the options, drivers and costs involved in their decision making, maybe we shouldn't be too hard on the venue management.

<small>[ 23 October 2003, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:46 am 

I'm not exactly having a go at the Theatre for not having the troupe back again, but when you see what is on over the festive season and beginning of next year you begin to wonder why the ballet company were turned down??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]