public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dancing Men (& Boys)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:25 am 

Cross gender train? Yikes. Kind of a wierd way to put it. I guess I always just try to learn as much as I can no matter what it is. A jump is a jump, a turn is a turn, arms are arms...an so on. I agree that there are movements that would be considered more masculine or more feminine but I think that it is more beneficial just to forget that and learn as much as possible, but that's my rambling.

Cody

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:22 am 

Boys don't dance is myth no.3, but the sad thing is that peer pressure did make him give it up:

10 myths about boys
Vandals, lazy, rampant, unfeeling: boys these days are victims of gender stereotyping gone haywire, says Jenni Murray in The Guardian, herself the mother of two sons. She sets the record straight.

When my first son was born, a friend who hovered on the fringes of the radical feminist movement whispered poison in my ear. "Poor you," she hissed, "having to raise one of the enemy." I crossed her off my Christmas card list, but the words still rankled.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:55 am 

One of our men this summer program sat through the repertoire class when what was being taught was les Sylphides. He was learning how to dance like a Sylph with fairy arms. At the same time, he was also in men's class, learning le Corsair variation.

The two styles are very different. He kept getting criticized for Sylph arms in men's class and pirate arms in repetoire class. In that way, he learned how to handle two styles at once. It is a very important skill --- our company usually puts on 4 dances, each one with completely different movement quality.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:17 pm 

Quote:
Sole male in Heat summer camp a danceout in the crowd

NICHOLAS SPANGLER
Miami Herald

The student body of the Miami Heat Dancers Summer Camp is 70-strong, mostly pre- and barely-teen girls who favor short shorts, tank tops and ponytails, younger and marginally more-clothed versions of the women who dance court-side at Heat home games. <a href=http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6361952.htm target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:42 pm 

Jackie Chan had a positive influence for ballet.

Quote:
SUCCESS: Giant leap for dancer Chris

Peterborough Now/Evening Telegraph

WHEN city teenager Chris Evans was a little boy he always dreamed of being the next Jackie Chan, and spent much of his childhood practising high-kicks in the garden. <a href=http://www.peterboroughet.co.uk/ViewArticlemore2.aspx?SectionID=845&ArticleID=650080 target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:35 pm 

Teri Reyes, until a few years ago a long-time member of NYCB, sometimes used to do double tours and entrechat six in class with the boys when she was in her early teens at Los Angeles Ballet. She had a powerful, deep plie and exceptional elevation, and did the masculine steps as well or better than most of the guys. It was quite a thrill to see her, and I always thought it would be interesting to have a woman dance such steps on stage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:29 pm 

Quote:
The thrill is gone
Lewis Segal, LA Times

The male duet is becoming a cliché — tiresome and uninventive. What's needed is a fresh choreographic vision and a sense of physical risk.
more (requires paid subscription)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:53 pm 

I guess Mr Segal hasn't seen Torsion by George Piper Dances then!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:31 pm 

Copying a post from another thread:

<hr>

okgo
Member# 3410

posted 15 January 2004 12:52 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you tell most men you do ballet most men will tell you your gay or atleast think it. .its also true that alot of girls might think that but not girls that do ballet.i do ballet i believe none of the girls think it werid they dont say it nor do i get that veb.in usa men think if other men do ballet their feminem or gay.not all male ballet dancers are gay.i guess the question is why to people think this way,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:23 pm 

Regarding Mr. Segal's review up there: I don't think I've read anyone more cyncial than this typical Southern Californian shmoo. Maybe it is because he lives in LA, but really I think he's seeing completely different companies than I am.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:59 pm 

All I know is that gay or not, ballet is not for
the meek. The process to weed out people, who aspire to dance ballet is backbreaking, and takes
steely determination. They are not paid like a baseball or basketball player. They will dance
professionally for 5-20 years only. And then many
have to start a new career!!! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:53 pm 

what guys here do ballet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:02 pm 

Okgo.. ballet has gay connotations because of the nature of ballet and because of societal expectations regarding gender roles.

In ballet, you are making your body into a piece of art. It is socially acceptable (and expected) for girls and women to do this. Women spend so much time on their appearance, to present themselves to the world. Beauty is status.

But for men it's different. For men, being something isn't so important socially. What's important is DOING something. The man who can run the fastest, lift the most, or manage the most customers at work is highly valued. Men are actively DISCOURAGED from taking pride in their appearance or in being seen as a work of art.

Men who seek to be part of a work of art are seen as "feminine", and women are seen to be less than men. There is very little concept in America of a sense of masculine beauty.

This bias carries right over into dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:44 pm 

critbob i adgree.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:56 pm 

ballet dancers rank at the top of the chart for strength, flexibility, and other criteria to judge
athletic ability. There has been quite a few studies that support the statement above. Ballet dancers outperformed footballers(Amer.& European),
along with athletes in: baseball, basketball, hockey, boxers, ect. At the top of the athletic
ladder. Pound for pound the all-round best athletes on this earth! Gay has absolutely nothing
to do with it. Edward Villela of New York City Ballet, once said that a 5-6 minute Pas De Deux is
more difficult than 6 3-minute rounds of boxing(he
boxed while in the Navy). Case closed!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next