public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: English National Ballet School
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:51 am 

As you already know, i love ballet and would love to become professional but I have only being doing ballet for 2 years. I did 5 years tap and jazz and 2 years feestyle and hiphop.
I was thinking maybe auditioning for the enbs for entry in 2006. do you think that this is an impossible task for me to undertake. I would have 1 year before the audition to get ready. Even if i took classes every day would there be a hope in hell for me, I'm not even on point yet, but if i started in september i would have one year to get good.

Whats the best thing for me to do to prepare for this task? :)

Post subject: Re: English National Ballet School
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:49 pm 

Hi Megan, I hope one of our UK posters can advise you on the ENB, I am in the US so I am not familiar with that particular school. I have asked before what your teachers think of your chances? They can best tell you as they have watched you progress and can see if you have the right physique and talent that a professional dance career requires. At 17 you will be in competition with dancers who have been studying much longer and are quite advanced.

Here in the US if you are in a professional school on a par with the ENB and are 17 you are pretty much on your way to auditioning for a company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:23 am 

enbs offers a two year course from ages 16-19.
i was wondering what i would needto do to improve myself for an audition? The problem is I have been doing ballet for 2 years but have been doing other types for 7 years. I amn't even on point yet, i wonder if i have a chance.

if they see that you have potential but not enough experience would they consider you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:54 pm 

Megan, do you have the enbs course information details? They should provide information on the levels expected to enter the course. The enbs school is one of the top ones in the UK with great demand for places.

Bear in mind that at the end of this course the expectation is that students will enter ballet companies in the corps de ballet. Thus, a rule of thumb question is: are you two years away from dancing professionally in a ballet company?

None of us here have seen you dance, thus I agree with the advice to speak with your teachers about whether the enbs course is a realistic possibility.

<small>[ 02 March 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:25 am 

i know that it is an advanced level course. Does anybody know of the requirments for central school of ballet. i understand what your saying about being 2 years away from dancing in a professional company. But if I made a tremendous effort this year and next in preparation for the audition like attending class everyday and going to a summer school for 6 weeks?

Has anyone ever attended one of these auditions? What was ypur experience like?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:38 pm 

Hi
I have not myself auditioned for ENBS as I had my leg in a plaster cast on my audition date last year, but I have many friends who attend the school. Of all the people I know who go there, all had previously attended a full time ballet school e.g. Elmhurst, Tring, Dance School of Scotland etc. and others abroad. They are all advanced dancers who have trained for many years. I think this is also the case at Central School of Ballet, although perhaps to a lesser extent. I don't mean to sound negative, becuase a lot can happen in a year, so work hard and try your best to reach your goal. But most importantly, don't let getting into one of these schools be the 'be all and end all'; enjoy dancing whatever happens in the next year. Hope this helps :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:07 am 

You could look into applying for a degree course in dance at, for example, Roehampton University or similar. It seems that you want a ballet focus, but you might stand a better chance at The Place or Urdang Academy or somewhere that's not quite as intent on producing solely ballet company members. If you were to get a dance degree with a heavily weighted practical side, it might be possible to go on to a dance 'finishing school' that will really push you to performing heights, however, I think this again more likely for contemporary dance. You could give it a try, you never know!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:34 am 

A degree course is an interesting option to raise, lr, and welcome to CriticalDance. Hope we see a lot more of you here.

For most university dance students, this is a chance to study a subject they love and gain a degree. As you say, a further 1 year would be required in a pre-professional course for the outstanding graduates, but most will go on to arts administration or whatever. Roehampton has the strongest ballet link, but I'm not sure what level they require for entry.

The Place (London Contemporary Dance School) or Laban should only really be considered by those that love contemporary dance, as that is their main focus. Ballet will certainly be studied, but I suspect that no student from either of these worthy institutions will have ever gone on to dance in a professional ballet company.

Megan, time to be blunt, and my Moderator colleagues are welcome to step in. From my experience of the dance world including my 4 years part-time study of dance theory at Laban, I think there is an almost zero chance for even a talented dancer not on pointe now joining a professional ballet company within 2 or 3 years.

"But if I made a tremendous effort this year and next in preparation for the audition like attending class everyday and going to a summer school for 6 weeks?"

Nobody here can answer this as we have not seen your dancing and generalities will be worthless. Have you asked your teachers about your prospects, yet? In the end they are the ones who can best assess your chances.

<small>[ 12 March 2005, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]