public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Counting and timing (music)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:35 am 

Musicality is not my strong point!!
I really struggle to concentrate on counting and keeping in time with the music when i'm dancing. i know it's just counting to 8 but i'm also thinking about using the movement and the technique.

I really need to be in time for this show especially as we're doing movements in cannon and sometimes have to move on different counts. I don't want my teacher to get stressed at me because she seems happy with the way our dance is moving forward. In the past, she has got abit stressed with me about my timing, i don't want that now i'm a senior!!

Does anyone have tips on timing, counting and concentrating please?!! This is for modern dance btw!!
thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Counting and timing (music)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:42 pm 

Petite_dancer, are you able to keep to your counts in this piece when you dance by yourself? Is the problem mainly when you have to dance in canon?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:32 pm 

yeah, i can keep to my counts by myself it's just the canon parts really. they put me off and i know that if i get it wrong it puts the whole dance out of time. :eek: it's quite fast too. you must think i'm the worst dancer!! lol
if i can master my timing and counting, i'll be fine. i don't want to ruin it on the show night too.
Why do you ask?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:15 pm 

I think that if you can practice it enough on your own (with the music) so that you're no longer counting, so that you have a sense of what your body is doing at every point in the music, it could make it easier to stick to what you have to do, despite what everyone around you is doing. At least, that worked for me. It felt as if I were singing the music, except that instead of notes and words, it came out as movement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:22 am 
Follow the above advice--it may get you through!

After this one, you should do some serious study of music. Go to the library, look on the internet, for "Music--Sight Reading--Beginner" etc. Or take piano, voice, recorder, flute, whatever kind of music lessons.

It is absolutely necessary. Without it, you will never achieve professional quality in your work, you will not succeed at auditions, and yes, if you don't acquire that skill, many people seeing your performances will notice & think you're not good.

In addition, understanding of the music will help your coordination, make you more expressive, and make you a better dancer altogether. Go for it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:03 pm 

thanks everyone.

i'll do that. I know it'll help me dance better because i won't be worrying about whether i'm going wrong etc.
I want to do well in any exams that i think we might be doing after the show too.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]