public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Satin shoes, why are they not popular?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:14 am 

I've noticed that alot of people prefer canvas or leather ballet flats. Why aren't satin shoes popular? Do the satin ones stretch out alot?

Post subject: Re: Satin shoes, why are they not popular?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:03 am 

They just don't hold up as well. They also tend to get very dirty. I saw a lot of dancers in Japan wearing them, but not to many in the US.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:50 pm 

Lucy is right - although satin shoes look lovely they wear down and look dirty very quickly. I have my students wear them for exams but recommend leather shoes for class.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:21 pm 

Satin also frays/tears more easily. I agree they look great when "fresh" though. They are not worn in US schools too much, but some that teach RAD do have their kids wear them, as Joanne said, for exams.

One thing that I do like about them, is the use of the ribbons, as they give students the skill to tie them and to do it quickly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Satin shoes, why are they not popular?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:07 am 

Personally I really don't like satin shoes. I've had to buy a pair for and RAD exam, and I find that leather ones are generally more comfortable and not as slippy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:34 am 
I love the look of satin slippers, but they are not as practical for general class wear. The main thing I dislike about them is that they don't "give" as much as leather shoes, which stretch and mould to fit your feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:43 am 

I'd never seen people using satin slippers or soft slippers (leather, canvas or satin) with ribbons until I moved to the UK. And my impression is that you see satin and ribbons here because that's what RAD requires.

Tying ribbons may be an important skill, but can't that be learned when it's time for pointe? And given the repertory of most professional ballet companies these days, female dancers better be comfortable dancing in leather or canvas soft slippers and know how to deal with elastics. I've never seen professional dancers wear satin slippers or soft slippers with ribbons unless called for in a particular ballet.

Kate

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]