public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Increasing Flexibility in the Back
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 6:50 am 

hello all! Does anyone have any exercises, tips, ideas on increasing the flexibility in the back, I have a fairly good cambre to the back, but I would like it to be better. Thanks all!<P>Sincerly,<BR>Jan<P>------------------<BR>Teaching Today Touches Tomorrow!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Increasing Flexibility in the Back
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2001 10:34 am 

There are basically three main places that the back has some flexibility the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spines. There are two more sacral and caudal. The last two are not very much open to flexibility. <P>One of the best ways to gain flexibility in the spine to to use gravity in the forward stretch. I outlined this in the thread "Stretch and Strength". Even though it is the cambré back in which you want to gain flexibility - you can do this with the cambré forward, by leaning forward, totally relaxing your head (hold onto something in case you become dizzy) and let gravity stretch the muscles as you relax. <P>When you cambré back aim for the most flexibility in the thoracic spine - about where you heart is. As I cambré back, I picture pushing out where my heart is.<P>You have to remember, there is a limit to flexibility for everyone. We each are flexible to differing degrees. Don't force anything. Don't do any extreme stretches of any kind. <P>It also helps when you are doing a cambré back to first pull up and lengthen your spine BEFORE you start back. Never scrunch into it.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]