public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Future in ballet??
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:40 pm 

I live in a very small town and the only dance studio around is very casual and only offers one class a week. I started taking lessons when I was 3 but quit when I was 9. I'm 15 this year and decided that I could no longer go with out dance in my life so I once again signed up for ballet, as well as tap, jazz, and modern. I've been in cheerleading as well as gymnastics all these years so getting cought up wasn't really all that hard, especially with flexibility. I'm taller than most dancers at 5'10, but ballet is my passion and I want to study it seriously, but its not really possible where I live. Is it realistic to dream of a professional career in my situation and if so what would you suggest as to how to move in that direction

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Future in ballet??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:45 am 

Hi llicole...I think it's terrific that you are so interested in dance. It sounds like you are doing everything that you can do to study dance in your town. You have already used your dance ability in gym and cheerleading. I just want to tell you that to be a professional ballet dancer, you need to study at least five days a week with more than one class a day. Is there a town nearby that offers such a program? Just being realistic here...by age fifteen, many student ballet dancers have already been on pointe for at least three to four years. They are heading off to summer intensives at various schools where the competition to get into these programs is pretty stiff. If you could find a good program nearby, you would have to spend many hours a week to catch up and to learn the technique. Being a professional ballet dancer takes great dedication and years of work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:54 am 

What GN says is true, a professional career at this point is unlikely (but not altogether unheard of).

Whether or not you ever dance professionally, there are a number of benefits to be had to serious ballet study. If you wish to study ballet, you will have to do it somewhere else.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:50 pm 
I agree, the conditions are not auspicious. You might at least hope some day to participate with small, amateur groups, and that can be satisfying in its own way--but even then, you will need lots of training, and at least one class a day, 6 days a week, for many years.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]