public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: For the ladies...BRAS& size
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:01 am 
This is RATHER delicate.What bra is best for "full cups"? ANGELICA is one suggestion I got.<BR>Does having a "full cup" make a difference in your performance-as suppose to "tiny"(as most lady dancers seem to have)?

Post subject: Re: For the ladies...BRAS& size
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:08 am 

Oy - well let's see....the most important thing is good support. I don't go by brand, I go by how it feels. There are some leotards out there that also offer additional support.<P>I am not sure I can answer the second part of your question - if it makes a difference in performance. Being what I am...I have no comparison. LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:25 am 

It seems to me that if you get a leotard with extra support, and if you get one shaped high enough so that you can put any type of sporty or support bra underneath- that it would hold you pretty well, regardless of the type of bra.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:17 am 

Yes, I agree, any good sports bra will, err, keep you in place. <P>As for the 'tiny' ladies you see on stage, that is an asethetic choice made by ADs, etc. (I could go on a whole rant about that but I will spare all of you, lol). You don't dance with your chest so your abilities to dance should not be comprimised unless you are so large that all of the sporting activities that you partake in are affected.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:50 am 

None of the women in my class ever wear bras underneath the leotards; I don't know, but I just don't like the fact that a sports bras shows on the back where the leotard ends. Also, if you were sleeveless leotards, the bras always shows! (However, e.g. Capezio offers leotards w/ extra support for the chest)<P>But I think that having a rather big chest does affect your dancing! E.g. when doing pirouettes, I guess it's best to be "flat", because the force of the turning will come from the center of your body (i.e. your stomach); the more you have, the higher this point will rise towards your chest. This may sound silly, but think of it like you did in physics at school! Also, this is the reason why many female ice-skaters get a real rough time when going through puberty: the pirouettes which once were so easy for them on the ice must be totally re-learned because the centre of the turning changes. That's at least what I heard...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:23 am 
THANKS for your respnses ladies-ESP yours Marie!<BR> I do remember an old acquaintance who took ballet saying there was an EXCELLENT ballerina-w/a pretty ample chest size-she figured out it had more to do with balance than anything(as I recall G Kirkland stated the same thing when it came to the weight matter). But I dont want to argue about body type(AGAIN) either-just wanted some opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:37 am 
I notice that NYC ballerina Maria Kowroski is pretty built-if you've seen the ads for dancer underwear(I believe Angelica). Shes no DOLLY PARTON-but she looks more ample than most dancers. Theirs another dancer-I believe in the Ballet British Columbia co. thats prety "full" also and is said to be a very good dancer. I have to get a back issue of Pointe that mentions dancers who are"against type".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:16 pm 

I have been on both ends of this spectrum now. I used to be pretty small and dancing that way was like everyother small dancer out there. Since then I have gained weight and I swear it all went to my chest, so now support has become an issue. This isn't a problem in class, but on stage it can be depending on the costume. I find the most discomfort in jumps. I haven't noticed a difference in turns. And my ballance seems exactly the same, so maybe I've been gradually compensating as I have gradually gotten bigger. It's been an interesting experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:17 pm 

Hmm, I'm not sure I buy the 'physics' arguement. I once took class with a man who was retired Joffrey dancer and had what can only be described as a huge beer belly. Holy smokes, could that man turn! Growth spurts during puberty seem more condusive to balance problems than growth in the mammary dept. If you don't have core support you won't turn or jump well no matter what size your chest is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:00 pm 

Being a 34DD - E myself I also do not agree that it hinders dancing. The only thing it hinders is your choice of leotard and the prettiness of your bra - dancewear and underwear manufacturers are very short sighted when it comes to these things.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:39 pm 
THANKS JOANNE-my BOSOM BUDDY!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 2:46 pm 

I know this is terribly old fashioned - but then I have an excuse....I am old!<P>So here goes...I don't like when the bra shows out from any kind of clothes, including a leotard. So I always buy one that can be worn with a leotard. I also buy them to match the color of the leotard - mostly black. <P>I do, in very hot weather, wear a sleeveless leo - but not a spaghetti strap because then the bra strap would show. I buy a sleeveless leo that has a bit broader shoulder band.<P>I have been known to pin down the back strap of the bra down into the seam of the leo so that it won't show above the leo.<P>ok - so now you know JUST how old fashioned I am. <P>At the lake where I ride my bike, lots of women (mostly the younger set) wear a sports bra only. I am afraid that is something I would never do. Silly huh?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:48 pm 

At risk of sounding like an advertisment, BalTogs makes a very effective mesh microfiber dance bra. It is skin tone, and discreet. They also have a full-body liner, like a leotard. I used one when I was nursing, and let me tell you, I was heavy chested. It really helped me out.<BR>Yes, I suppose that having a flat chest is pretty standard in the world of professional dance, but I do know some very beautiful full-chested dancers, and it hasn't affected their careers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:36 pm 

I just want to second the idea that you CAN wear a sports bra under a sleeveless leotard without it showing, even without pinning it down. I do this all the time. You just have to find the right leotard, with straps wide enough to hide the bra straps. As long as my straps aren't loose, I have no problems with them slipping out and showing. It helps to take your sports bra to the store with you when you are trying on leotards. I also buy a lot of short-sleeved or long-sleeved leotards. Even leotards with built in support would not be good enough for me, but a good sports bra does wonders.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:26 pm 

I know someone who wasn't accepterd in a company because she is quite full-chested.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next