public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: royal ballet,stay or go? !PLEASE HELP!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:13 am 

I got into the royal ballet associates program last year, and to start with i really enjoyed it. But as the year went on I came to really hate it, and often tried to feign being ill so that I wouldnt have to go. I have the chance to do it for a second year, but I'm not sure whether I should do it or not. I'm not sure whether I want to go proffesional or not, I spoke to my normal teacher and she said I should want to do it whether I enjoy it or not. PLEASE HELP I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! :confused:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: royal ballet,stay or go? !PLEASE HELP!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:31 am 

Hi nxt and welcome to CriticalDance. So sorry to hear that things are not going well at present.

You write:

"But as the year went on I came to really hate it, and often tried to feign being ill so that I wouldnt have to go."

Why don't you tell us why you have come to hate the classes - articulating the problem clearly might be helpful for discussions with your teachers as well as for yourself.

However, no one here is going to be able to tell you whether to continue the course or not, as that is a decision for you, advised by your teachers. Have you spoken with your RB teacher about your concerns?

<small>[ 06 April 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:04 pm 

If you were miserable this year and nothing changes fundamentally, then you'll probably be miserable next year (and possibly into a professional career).

In general, if you don't like dancing, you shouldn't be doing it. My Artistic Director makes a point of never saying "oh that's too bad, you were so good" if one of his dancers or students decides to do something else. There are plenty of other things to do in life, even if you're very talented at dance, and that's OK.

On the other hand, leaving dance is pretty much a one-way street. So you should make sure you're really done with it if you leave.

<small>[ 07 April 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: citibob ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:47 am 

thank you so much for your advice, i think that i dont like the lessons because i feel so far behind compared to all the others in my class. Most of them have been in the rb since they were seven whereas i've only been doing it for a year. i dont want to ever give up ballet because it has been my life ever since i was 2. I've decided to audition again when i'm 16 because i wish to concentrate on my gcse's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:59 pm 

sometimes (oftentimes), you can hate life at one school, but still like to dance. in that case, another school might be right for you. Most dancers who get fed up with something and "quit" eventually discover they want to keep dancing all along, just somewhere else.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:31 pm 

nxt, I still think that if you haven't talked it over with your RB teacher(s), you ought to do that to get their perspective. Even if it is in the form of a leaving interview, they will be able to give you advice about current achievements, future training and prospects.

Good luck with your gcse's [for non-uk readers: General Certificate of Education, taken at around age 16], nxt. Hope you continue to get a lot from your dancing.

<small>[ 11 April 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:33 am 

Just read this post and would like to say that if you are really not comfortable with the associate classes then don't put yourself through the ordeal. My daughter is eleven and has been on the waiting list for the mid associates for a year now and is absolutely desperate to go there. :( She is in love with dance and determined to make it her career, (which I'm sure she will). So, if you are bored or unhappy there, and I know it's a tough regime and you are expected to be dedicated....please leave and make way for the ones who really want it :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]