public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lessons for beginners my age
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:17 am 

Hello, I would like to find out about ballet lessons for begginers. I started ballet when I was four years old but I didn't keep up with it. I have forgotten everything that I learned and would like to take it up again but I don't know where to begin. I may be too old to restart and I don't want to go to classes with young children - it is important for me to go with beginners my age. I live in London - where do I start?! :confused:

<small>[ 30 May 2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lessons for beginners my age
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:22 pm 

Hello, Nia, and welcome. I am moving your question to the Students forum where it will get more attention.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:21 pm 

Hello Nia.
Though you didn't include an age, I would guess you are somewhere between the ages of 13 and 25, since in your profile you state that you are a student, and the minimum age for this forum is 13, and if my guess is correct, it is extremely likely that you can find a class with people near your age.
I live in a pretty small town in the USA, and my local company provided me with a class that was, if not full of, at least including several people my own age when I started at age 11, which I believe is one of the age groups less likely to begin ballet.
So in short, there are almost certainly classes in your area that have at least two people your age. As for where to start, it's a good idea to check your school's dance options, and also look at independant dance schools and companies. It may also be a good idea to ask around until you find some students who've danced in several programs to find which one may suit you best. In my area there are some distinctly better and worse ballet programs.
If you go for an independant program, I would suggest starting with one that specializes in ballet, or even focuses on it to the point of exclusion of other dance forms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:33 am 

Nia - there are a couple of places you could start with. Try www.rad.org, www.istd.org.uk and www.idta.co.uk - they are all teaching societies that should be able to give you lists of qualified teachers. I know the English National Ballet have run adult courses in the past so maybe worth contacting them too.

Also some Adult Education Centres will run ballet courses. I know Morley College in Waterloo definitely do. So it maybe worth contacting your local education authority to see.

It is never too late to restart and enjoy this hobby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:27 am 

Hi,
You might want to have a look at www.laban.org.
They seem to advertise adult classes for beginners.
I started ballet at 35 and trying to get some decent training is a nightmare but I am sure if you keep trying and looking something will crop up eventually.

Best of luck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:29 am 

Hi again.
Lanes something or other in Brighton cater for adult beginners, they are also having some sort of summer school with guest teachers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:12 pm 

It is never too late to start dance but I know that a lot of dance studios have classes just for adult dancers that don't have a lot of expeirience.

bunheadballerina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:32 am 

Hiya,
I know exactly how you feel. I'm 15 and
I have always wanted to take up ballet & tap because I love dancing, but the only thing that was stopping me was that I didn't want to dance with the younger ones.

It has been this year that I have been determind to do what I need to do, so I sat with the phone book, searched online and rang around finding out schools and leisure centres that offered beginner ballet for people my age and I was surprised to find out how many that did. Along with these classes I'm taking a private ballet class and an adult tap class along with hip-hop, jazz, modern etc to fulfill my dream of becoming a professional dancer and I'll do whatever it takes.

Believe in yourself never mind what other people say. If you know you can do it and love what you do that's all that matters.

Hope its helps

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:25 am 

hiya, i am also intrested in taking up ballet, but many people have told me i am too old, although i am only 15. if anyone has any information about who to contact to arrange some lessons it would be great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:21 am 

Hi sinead, as has been said many times before it is never too late to start taking ballet or any other kind of dance. Maybe they were saying that it is not likely to have a career in a top professional company by starting at this age which is true. Where are you located? Have you looked in the phone book for studios. I would give a call and ask if they have a class that caters to the adult beginner. You might even ask to stop by and watch a class.

Too late to learn to dance...never.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:24 pm 
I started ballet at 22, after some years of modern dance. I was determined, & went to adult beginner classes. Sometimes kids as young as 8 were allowed to take the class. Didn't bother me a bit! And I learned a lot from watching them.

I've been teaching in New York now for about 25 years, and have had many older students --a 35-year-old beginner among them. These older students are the best--they are devoted & enthusiastic, and they do their homework. They always improve rapidly. You can do it!

<small>[ 12 December 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Beth Kurtz ]</small>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]