public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: bad teacher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 am 

Hi...i was wondering if anyone has had a negative experience with a ballet teacher? my teacher seems to ignore me completely - also, she seems to focus and compliment students who have less natural ability than i have...(it's not my imagination) should i confront her or should i just find a new teacher???

Post subject: Re: bad teacher
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:22 am 

Hello catsdog...More important than how you believe you and your other classmates are treated is how the class is preparing you and teaching you to be a dancer. These "personality" issues will come up on occasion. Some of my best teachers weren't necessarily "nice" to everyone. But, they were brilliant teachers. I also think that teachers will tend to give more correction to students they feel are receptive and working hard and have what they consider to be the correct work ethic in class. And, this is sometimes not necessarily the most talented dancer if that talented student has an attitude problem from the teacher's viewpoint. I'm not saying that this is what is going on in your case, but just giving this as an example. You have to earn people's respect sometimes...

<small>[ 06 April 2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: GN ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:54 pm 

Your perception of talent in dance may not be the same as your teacher's. It's easy to say "I'm more flexible than her" or "I have more turnout". But contrary to popular belief, flexibility and turnout do not a dancer make.

Also, the idea that the most talented dancers should get the most attention and praise from the teacher is disturbing, to say the least. The main job of the teacher is to teach everyone how to dance. That often involves spending more attention on one student than another. You might very well be doing fine at this point, and the teacher is just watching you as you improve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:43 pm 

I've watched my teacher treat her students in entirely different ways. Some people need constant pushing and reminders, some are more capable of absorbing general corrections without the reminder. Some people break down with too many detailed corrections, some thrive on it. It usually has nothing to do with percieved or real levels of "talent". Just different learning styles that a good teacher will key into.

A teacher is only "bad" if they don't get results. Are your teacher's students improving? That's all that matters.

<small>[ 07 April 2005, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: lampwick ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:21 pm 

I could not have said better myself lampwick. of particular note was the mention of learning styles. it is extremely important as a teacher to tune into each and every student's particular learning style. for example:

Is the student a visual learner? (ie) the student learns by visual demonstration. (I use this one because it is how I learnt). As a teacher also, one must be very carful not to teach as one has learnt. An easy trap to fall into i think.

Also remember as a student, never ever be afraid to ask questions to gain a teacher's attention particularly if one is having difficulty with an exercise or step. Remember if you do not know the answer then no question is a stupid question and needs to be asked. Also take an active interest in other student's corrections as they may also apply to you and can only help to improve your own technique even if perhap the teacher has missed it. Hoping this makes some semblance of sense LOL. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]