public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to spot a good arch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:14 am 

Hi everyone at CD :)

I was just wondering...how do you determine whether you have a good arch or not ?? :D
Dancer246 xxx

Post subject: Re: How to spot a good arch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:36 am 

The best way to tell if you have a good arch is to point your foot. If the instep on top is high this will make for a nice line. If the arch on the bottom comes up ( not stays flat) that is also a good arch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to spot a good arch
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:44 pm 

I will risk saying more...

In general, the more loosly constructed your body is, the higher your arch (both top and bottom) will be. That is good, but only so far. Because you actually have to stand on your foot en pointe.

I know some dancers whose feet are so arched and so loosley constructed that they can actually fall forward en pointe, right over their arch. It seems rather scary to me. They have to work very hard to strengthen their feet to make sure it doesn't happen. Extra-high vamps seem to help as well.

On the other hand, with a poorly developed arch, you will never be able to stand en pointe properly.

In my experience, the vast majority of balet students are able to develop arches within a good range that makes it possible, and not too difficult, to dance en pointe. The process of dance training, especially en pointe, seems to develop the arch properly.

<small>[ 29 March 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: citibob ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]