public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: should a latestarter audition for a ballet school?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:02 am 

Hi,
I have been doing ballet for less than 2 years and am not on pointe, i am 17 in May.
Previously I have done 5 years of jazz/tap and 1 year in freestyle.

I have been contemplating whether or not to send in an application form for audition for a pre professional full time ballet school? Is this a stupid idea for me?
I was thinking about auditioning for a school in Germany? Please reply as I don't know what to do?

Thanks for taking the time to listen!xxx

Post subject: Re: should a latestarter audition for a ballet school?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:48 pm 
Seems to me it can't hurt to try. Do you know anything about what the school wants or expects in terms of previous training? If there is no information like that in their brochures, then why not? As they say here in the US--you never know!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:36 pm 

If this is a full time pre professional ballet school and you have only had 2 years of ballet and are not yet on pointe I might re-think this. Do your teachers think that you can do it?

I might wait till I had a bit more serious ballet technique and training under my belt before I went on to this level.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:56 pm 

I agree with Lucy, but did u hear about that girl in NYC who started ballet at 13, and at age 15 got into a COMPANY????? You never know!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:34 am 

Hello Megan,

Of course I don' t know how you are dancing, so it' s difficult to answer. But it' s never bad to make an audition. Just think if you really want to go all the way to germany for your audition. Maybe try it first a bit closer at home.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:02 am 

My 2 cents - you could also contact the school to see whether pointe work was essential or, more likely in my view, how many years of pointe were required. I know that in the UK modern dance conservatoires, pre-professional means that you are as near as damn it already at professional standard and the students have already undertaken 3 years full time degree-level tuition to get onto such a course, usually following several years dance study beforehand.

Another question is the language of tuition and even if it is English, how you would get by in everyday life in Germany.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:16 am 

I think that in Germany you will find a lot of classical/ modern schools. For the real classical schools, you need to be very talented, will they take you at this age. But as Stuart said, ask for the conditions.
As for the language, I believe that that wont be a real problem. On most schools the main language will be english, and a lot of German people speak english nowadays, so you will be able to communicate outside of school as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]