public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Healing Power of the Arts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 4:49 pm 

The arts can definitely play its part:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Americans for the Arts Focuses October's National Arts & Humanities Month Efforts on How the Arts Can Heal in the Aftermath of the Terrorist Attacks<P>WASHINGTON, Sept. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans for the Arts, the nation's leading arts advocacy organization, annually recognizes the month of October as National Arts & Humanities Month. The national tragedies of September 11 have severely impacted the country on many levels and illustrated the enormous power of the arts to bond and heal -- whether through song, dance, music, poetry, or readings. This year, Americans for the Arts directs its efforts to using the arts as a healing tool for the nation. Americans for the Arts urges arts organizations nationwide to integrate arts and civic dialogue activities in their community outreach efforts for National Arts & Humanities Month.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010927/dcth047_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Healing Power of the Arts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 7:11 am 

A number of Bay Area dance luminaries reflect upon the aftermath. Included are interviews of LINES Ballet Executive Director Pam King, ODC/SF co-Artistic Director KT Nelson, and Diablo Ballet Artistic Director Lauren Jonas:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Dancers keep up the beat despite events</B><P>Vera H-C Chan, Contra Costa Times<P>THE SEPTEMBER ATTACKS shook a nation, if not the world, to its core. To artists whose instinct is to mirror the human soul, to look upon at such devastation was paralyzing.<P>The attacks, though, did not destroy Bay Area dancers. Instead, many found a deeper appreciation for the freedom of movement, both in their performances and their ability to come together.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/perform/stories/x30dancereact_20010930.htm target=_blank><B>Click here for the full article</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 7:45 am 
I'm glad that the show is going on...we all went through the initial periods of morning...we cant let this disaster take EVERYTHING from us;we need to smile again.feel soothed again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 9:38 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Piedmont Girl Gets National Recogniton<P>WXII ThePiedmontChannel.com on Yahoo! News<P>A 9-year-old Winston-Salem girl is getting national recognition for her efforts to raise money for attack victims.<BR> <BR>Collier Wimmer gets paid to dance for a good cause. When the third-grader watched the terrible scenes for the attacks, she said that she wanted to help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/wxii/20011003/lo/918762_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 8:26 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Artists from Nine Chicago Performing Arts Companies Unite for Historic Performance<P>Ballerina Says Brother Who Is Commercial Airline Pilot Helped Inspire 'Opening the Curtain to our Hearts' Benefit</B><P>PR Newswire on Yahoo! News<P>CHICAGO, Oct. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first time in Chicago arts history, performers from nine of the city's top performing arts companies will share the same stage, it was announced today. Actors, musicians, dancers and others are donating their time and talent to create ``Opening the Curtain to Our Hearts,'' a performance to benefit children affected by the September 11 terrorist attacks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/011005/cgf030_1.html target=_blank><B>More</B></a><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 5:16 am 

From Milwaukee:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Performers rally for N.Y. benefit<P>TOM STRINI, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel<P>Nothing exists beyond context. Twenty-two groups participated, and almost everything they did seemed somehow to apply, however obliquely, to Sept. 11 and the war against the perpetrators of those events.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/arts/oct01/tribute09100801.asp target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 9:20 am 

Thanks for the articles. The first one led me to this site which I found quite interesting/helpful...<BR> <A HREF="http://www.artsusa.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.artsusa.org/</A> It goes right to the heart of what the organization does and can do.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:27 am 

I believe that we need the arts more than ever in these trying times. However, I am concerned that arts organizations (e.g. dance companies) are themselves at risk...<P>Ballet British Columbia was to have performed in Toronto this week, as part of a tour that would take dancers to a number of U.S. cities (and some Canadian ones in addition to Toronto, I assume). My understanding is that the entire tour was cancelled, and I believe that this was in large part due to concerns about travel. Of course we want everyone to be safe: this is paramount. But a company such as Ballet BC would be fairly small, and imagine that they were expecting to have some revenue from this tour. I hope that this company, and all others, are able to continue to offer a full season of performances.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:05 am 

Because of the recent tragic events I will be accepting students to my 2002 summer intensive without an audition. I hope, in these troubled times, this will help some youngster's to have their dream of attending a SI come true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:38 pm 
Thats WONDERFULLY generous of you Jillana--I say THANK YOU for your students!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 8:19 am 

The article is about the arts in general, but there is a dance related item a little ways down.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Cal Symphony's Jalbert wins composition prize in London <BR>Morris pitches in for terror victims<P>David Wiegand<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/10/17/DD130924.DTL&type=performance" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 12:37 am 

At Mark Morris this week, I found myself at the end of a row next to the part where wheelchairs can be positioned. A lady who I can speculate was not always handicapped, but probably a stroke victim, sat through the performance trying to find a comfortable position for her head and arms but had very little mobility. She was hardly able to speak comprehensively and one arm was totally paralysed. I cannot tell you how animated and ecstatic she was in her attempts to clap eventhough she could hardly bring her arms together. Sitting there analysing the performance - strengths, weaknesses, etc - I remembered what dance is all about. And how during periods of my life when I have been "down", I have turned to dance - both watching and participating, for its healing powers. Expressing yourself without words is healing and watching expression without words allows you to make connections and analogies in your mind about your own situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:17 am 

A roundtable in Boston:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>In wake of Sept. 11, `art will go on'<P>Sarah Rodman, Boston Herald<P>An esteemed group of artists joined a standing room only crowd at the Sanders Theatre Friday afternoon to participate in a discussion about the arts in relation to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/spru11112001.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:18 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Art of Aftermath, Distilled in Memory<P>MEL GUSSOW The New York Times<P>Past works of art and literature point toward the likely shape of cultural offerings inspired by the terrorism of Sept. 11.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nyt/20011114/en/the_art_of_aftermath_distilled_in_memory_1.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:36 am 

Writes Emily Moellman in the Village Voice of the C.U.A.N.D.O. art series:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The October series there, entitled "From the Ashes" (produced by Ellie Covan and Amanda Gutowski of Dixon Place), brought in performers to reflect on the WTC disaster...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0147/moellman.php target=_blank>More</a>, in the second half of the linked page.

Profile E-mail