public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: nice site
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 5:26 am 

stuart i think dance technique issues need to go in with classes, teachers, auditions - so a possible topic heading would be :<P>DANCE PRACTICE - learning, teaching, auditions etc<P>please respond to my (coincidental) new topic "What is involved in being a moderator?"! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 1:03 pm 

OK grace, I'll buy the idea of including technique with Auditions etc.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What does a Moderator DO?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Here are some of my thoughts. Tasks may be shared between two Moderators and during periods of absence/exceptional busy work, arranging cover or informing BB Administrator<BR>- checking the Forum at least every other day <BR>- responding to newcomers with greetings etc and replying to questions, debates etc from posters<BR>- initiating topics. The number will clearly vary from time to time and forum to forum, but the number that comes to mind is a minimum of 2 moderator generated topics per week. As our readership grows, hopefully more topics will be generated outside of the core posters.<BR>- Most of the mechanics necessary are menu driven eg deleting, moving, etc. Azlan has a very good grip on this stuff.<P>What do others think?<P>As this topic has switched to this thread, I have deleted the other 'Moderator' topic.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 03-18-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 5:53 am 

thanks, stuart. <P>re what a moderator does: that sounds simple enough, but, for example, isn't it time somebody split this thread into a few pages?<P>(i am assuming one reason that is done is so one doesn't have to load all the pages, when you only want to read the last one?...but i'm only guessing here...)<P>anyway, my question(s) is/are, for example, who does that? how do they know when to do it ? how do you do it? that sort of stuff...<P>i.e. the more technical side, assuming there is one, to being a moderator?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 4:22 pm 

How's about a "Dance Education" topic. All queries about classes, auditions, schools, training could be funneled through it; in fact, the above could be sub-headings within the Dance Education topic. Also, how's about a "Young dancers forum".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 8:53 pm 

Since Stuart is taking the lead in this issue, I won't add more than my two cents' worth. I think most of the ideas sound good but we need "critical mass" to pull off the new forums. We'll have to monitor the forums closely and make changes as required.<P>Grace, the reason why the threads have been set not to split into new pages is that people seem to not notice there are subsequent pages. Until the UBB software is improved in this regard, I vote to keep it as it is. What do others think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2000 9:51 pm 

azlan, i have to confess that before i realised there could be multiple pages with UBB software, i often missed out on some of the action...i agree that 'they' need to make it more obvious when to 'turn the page'!<P>but a long thread like this one is really a pain...i guess i'm at fault there: i should have started a new topic at some point, instead of just being a wuss and piggybacking on hanna's topic!<P>my vote would still be for splitting the pages - is there NO way you can make the little numbers more obvious? OR -and this may just mean more work for moderators- insert a final one-line post every time you break a topic, saying "please click on 'x' below, to turn the page"?<P>have you noticed that Ballet Talk has opened up a Teachers Forum yesterday?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2000 7:05 am 

I won't comment on the Ballet Talk Teacher's Forum... other than the fact that we should be flattered?<P>Unfortunately, there is no way currently in this UBB to make the page numbers more prominent. But I like your idea about the Moderator adding a sentence at the final post of each page, reminding readers to turn the page. What do others think?

Profile E-mail