public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moderating criticaldance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 11:48 pm 

Criticaldance is a moderated board. The administrators and moderators are charged with the task of guiding the discussion to stay within the limits set by our mission statement. <P>Over the past 24 hours we have reluctantly decided to delete two posts, which we decided breached the guidelines for this board.<P>A paragraph from our mission statement on the 'whoweare' page says: 'We are particularly keen to encourage wide ranging debate on dance and dance issues in an atmosphere where people can make their views courteously.....' For the meaning of courtesy we use the Oxford Dictionary definition, '...graceful politeness or considerateness in intercourse with others....'. <P>Criticaldance is a dance and dancer friendly site. Dancers, administrators, critics and others can be criticised, but it must be courteous. <P>As a rule of thumb, I test how I would feel if I had to defend my comments face to face with the person concerned. I might feel uncomfortable if I had to defend a poor review, but I really don't like to think about how I would defend saying someone looked like a warthog. I<P>It's very easy to get carried away on the Internet, but always, always remember that the individual you're writing about may well be reading your comments. Hopefully that will act as a constraint on discourteous remarks. We know of cases of dancers and others who have been wounded by vitriolic comments on the Internet. <P>The Administrators have seen what happens on unmoderated boards where people hurl abuse at each other and, worse still, at members of the dance profession. In at least one instance a board has been closed down because of this. <P>We will always be reluctant to censor postings, but the Administrators will continue to take action if comments go too far beyond the 'courteous'.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moderating criticaldance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 12:23 am 

Well said - this has always been a lovely, friendly and welcoming board and I for one would support you 100% to keepi it that way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 5:39 am 

thanks joanne - now *I* just have to remember to be courteous! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:10 am 

Well, said Stuart - and all. In a medium where all is said in words without facial gestures (like a smile) or truly knowing the speaker- words are easily miscontrued. <P>Better to err considerably on the right side of courtesy - as Stuart and the rest of the administrators stated above. <P>And, I need to take that advice, also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:31 am 

I think I speak for the rest of the moderators, as well as most of the membership, when I now take the time to thank Stuart, Azlan, and Grace for their hard work and patience.<BR><P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>Online portfolio, now including "This Day in Arts History":<BR><A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:43 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's very easy to get carried away on the Internet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i was thinking about this, this evening. it's partly because we never see a face to get reactions from, and partly because we may never expect to meet any of the people we talk to, so there is an unconscious sense of less accountability. IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:51 pm 

There are good and bad sides to internet communication - yes you can get a little carried away but also it does give you time to think about your response - something you don't always get in a heated discussion face to face.<P>But you are right that not being able to see someones facial expression or hear a tone of voice can sometimes lead to comments being misinterpreted. Abusive comments are abusive comments however no matter what.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 3:31 pm 

I have expressed previously that the moderation is what makes this board so great.As moderators your generous in letting people aire thier views,glad you're here to keep everything in perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:44 pm 

I'm retiring from criticaldance. See below:<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Goldbarth (edited November 22, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:47 pm 

So much for the First Amendment: “Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” <P>Never in my life did I ever think I would be using a quote by Valerie Wilder (Executive Director of the NBoC) to prove a pointe: <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “What other business can you say to someone: ‘You know, well, you’re a little too tall. You're too fat; I think your ears stick out too much. I mean you know this is—the making of art is politically incorrect.’” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Hence I thought it fair to pointe out that a dancer on the NBoC had shall we say a nose that did not inspire romantic thoughts. Stuart Sweeney admonished me for calling this dancer “moose ugly.” By the way, I also balanced my criticism with praise. In the end, I gave Don Quixote a very high rating of 85 out of 100. He was moose ugly. A moose had more beauty, more grace, more stage presence than this dancer. <P>Being CENSORED on this Website is proof ballet criticism is stuck in the 50s. Ballet critics suffer from the same absence of truth that afflicted baseball writers for decades. Go read “Joe DiMaggio, The Hero’s Life” by Richard Ben Cramer and you’re learn about the real Joe DiMaggio: warts and all! He was far from the wholesome figure painted in song by Paul Simon: <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> “Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you... Joltin’ Joe has left and gone away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>By the way, the New York Times and CBC Infoculture did not censor my review of Don Quixote! Don’t worry...I won’t be posting anything more on criticaldance. If you want to learn more about free speech check out <A HREF="http://www.ccofa.org" TARGET=_blank>www.ccofa.org</A> or <A HREF="http://www.aclu.org" TARGET=_blank>www.aclu.org</A> Good-bye. The only people I’ll really miss are Grace and Maggie. The rest of you book burning prudes can go to the same very warm place where James Kudelka will one day (hopefully very soon) spend eternity. Good-bye.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:47 am 

It is my firm hope that Goldbarth does return to read this as well as to continue to post.<P>I did want to correct a basic premise of his post, as I think those non-Americans who see nothing more than the odd movie regarding the U.S. constitution often make the same mistake as Mr. Goldbarth regarding "freedom of speech".<P>To cut to the chase, the First Ammend applies ONLY to government abridement of speech thus any use of it in this context comes from a position of understandable ignorance.<P>I think most who use this site agree that we are attempting to discuss a wonderful art form and personal attacks denigrate the art form and the discussion as a whole.<P>Mr. Goldbarth enjoys pushing boundaries, some are humourour and some are mean. I follow this board almost dailey and have since the beginning and the involvement of content action has been fewer times than can be counted on one hand.<P>Good job Administrators and Moderaters!<P>I, for one, appreciate your commitment, effort and knowledge for your VOLUNTEER work!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2000 2:04 pm 

I have stayed out of this controversy to this point, but I must say that I believe that Shag is correct. You do not have the right to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater. A private club that does not in any way take government funds has the right to pick and chose the speakers it wishes to invite. <P>This board clearly states what it considers rules of courtesy, and if those seem arbitrary - so be it. It is also the right of a place like this to set these rules. <P>If you carry on a loud conversation in a theater it is possible you will be asked to leave. The theater has the right to do that. <P>Critiquing a performing artist is one thing, insulting that person is quite another. Insult is not critique. And, this board has the right to regulate the speech that appears upon its site. One comes in as a guest (including me) and guests as well as hosts have rules to follow.<P>I use AOL - and AOL has rules also. Someone can be reported for using inflamatory or offensive speech in a chat room, IM (instant message) or E-Mail. AOL lays out these rules clearly and there are penalties. One signs on knowing these rules and consequences.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 9:03 am 

Thank you all for your comments. As you can see throughout this forum and even in this thread by how we've left Michael Goldbarth's post unedited that we try our best to adhere to an inclusive philosophy on this web site.<P>Indeed as indicated on our whoweare page, we appreciate and in fact encourage opinions different from that of the Moderators. The more opinions the better.<P>However, courteousness has also always been a key component of our philosophy, after having experienced other discussion boards where posters were verbally assaulted by other members and sometimes even insulted by Administrators and Moderators. Therefore we frown upon messages that contain personal insults and anger out of hatred or intolerance. No one here has the right to make another uncomfortable even if they disagree.<P>This is not however to imply that we do not condone emotional posts. On the contrary, we are delighted by messages that are passionate, humorous and appreciative of the joy of dance. When I installed the software for this forum a little more than a year ago as a gift to the dance community, I dreamt of reading passionate posts about dance. Thank you everyone for making this dream come true.

Profile E-mail