public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pax Vobiscum
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:08 am 

Dear Friends:

For the past two weeks, except for the review that I wrote of the Bolshoi Ballet's November performance of "La Bayadere," I have taken a break from participation on CriticalDance. It was a much needed break, since I haven't had one in over two years. This gave me time to think and re-prioritize what I would like to do in the future.

About a year ago I was asked to edit a book. That was a lot of fun. What started out as an infrequent activity, has turned into a larger stream as similar projects have come my way. I also like to attend a twice-monthly writer's seminar and I very much enjoy presenting material, both poetry and prose, for critique.

Several years ago I wrote, and then set aside, a 400-page book - a fictionalized version of my aunt's life. And a most extraordinary life it was! It took her from great wealth to a struggle for daily bread, through two world wars and one revolution. It's also an almost unbelievable love story. (I wouldn't have believed it - if I hadn't witnessed it.)

In addition, I enjoy art class. Painting in oils (both dance and not) has occupied me for many years and I have love the twice weekly art classes. As I am sure many of you know, library issues are very important to me and in the neighborhood in which I live we are planning a new branch library. I am also politically active which entails some public speaking, which requires writing and rehearsal time.

Working with my hands has always been a happy pursuit: any kind of needlework (including an ongoing project of knitting caps and blankets for newborns), gardening. And, a new project - building a dollhouse from scratch using Mexican adobe clay to make the bricks and then on from there - painting the wallpaper, making furniture, etc.

As for dance, it will always be of great importance in my life and I shall continue to take ballet class as long as I am able - I have just completed my 35th year of ballet class. However, my concentration will be to write about dance on various levels both for print publication, such as Dance Europe Magazine, as well as (by request) online media. I will also continue to teach and coach and attend performances. (I am attending ABT's "Nutcracker" in Orange County this evening - plus the upcoming dance seasons at both the Orange County Performing Arts Center and the California Center for the Arts.)

It is time for me to give fuller attention to these various projects. I have enjoyed being with you - I have learned a great deal. Cd has grown a lot since I was asked to join, and I hope in some small way I contributed to that. The good Lord has blessed me in many wonderful ways - with a dearly beloved husband of 41 years and a loving son. What more could one ask?

If you would like to stay in contact, please don't hesitate. I like to think that friends are forever.

So, colleagues….my real life calls……live long and prosper…..PAX VOBISCUM.

Sheila Orysiek (aka) Basheva (it is my family's name for me)
Writer, Dance Europe Magazine
Member, Dance Critics Association

…………………………………………………………….
Approach Life as the Dancer Approaches the Barre - with Grace and Purpose

Volunteer to be a Force for Good

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pax Vobiscum
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:44 am 

CriticalDance.com is happy for Basheva and we wish her great success in her projects. We are also delighted that she has indicated she may maintain her ties to CD.com -- as her schedule permits -- by continuing to be an accredited reviewer and interviewer for the site.

In a variety of roles Basheva has been instrumental in the growth of the forum, especially in the development of "Students Questions". In addition Basheva has always been one of the first to put her hand up when there have been new tasks to do.

We have begun the process to find new Moderators. For example, Librarian, a high-caliber individual with a fount of knowledge in ballet and the history of ballet, has joined the family of moderators in the Ballet and Issues forums. And Lucy, a retired dancer with professional experience at well-known ballet companies, has agreed to be a temporary moderator in the Studio and Students Questions forums. We are also contacting some other possible moderators.

Thank you, Basheva, for all your valuable work and many contributions to CD.com and very best wishes for all your new endeavours.

Azlan and Stuart

<small>[ 21 December 2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:15 pm 

Basheva, you have made a wonderful contribution to CD, and also been a good friend!! :)

<small>[ 21 December 2002, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: trina ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:15 pm 

Basheva, I'd noticed your absence (I got worried after there was no response to my saying I'd done a bird lift with Doug Hevenor!) and was actually on the verge of writing to see what the heck happened. So now I know. Your future sounds most enjoyable. You didn't actually say whether you're going to start to work again on the book based on your grandmother's life story, but if/when it's published, I'll be sure to buy a copy. (I hope your grandmother's potato pirogi recipe is in it.) Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:25 pm 

Best of luck Basheva!! I will always remember you for the wonderful Alicia Alonso story/encounter :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:56 pm 

Dear Sheila-Basheva,
I am writing to you now not out of politeness but from my heart - that I am already missing and will miss you on this forum. You were the main reason why I started writing here. Earlier, after looking for quite a while at other English-language forums, I was attracted to "criticaldance" because it had such a supportive, tactful and good-natured moderator as you.
You welcomed my first posting as well as the first postings by many other people, and you always managed to make your greetings sound genuinely warm. I admired how you guided some discussions, without putting pressure on anyone, how gently but firmly you defended your views, and I appreciated the wealth of your experience, which was always evident.
I wish you well in everything you will do.
Hope you will write here sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:47 pm 

Basheva:

Without a doubt, you are the person who deserves the lion's share of the credit for bringing me into the ballet fold. It was you who encouraged me to enter a studio for the first time. You introduced me to this forum and you encouraged me to write about performances and my experiences at the Adult Dance Camps.

Your influence on my life has truly led to changes I could never have expected.

I look forward to continuing to visit during breaks at the Orange County Performing Arts Center and our occasional e-mail chats.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:00 pm 

My very best wishes to you. You have been extraordinarily supportive and articulate: your ability to explain in concrete language what muscles and limbs should feel and do is quite special. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:41 pm 

Basheva, Thank you for all of your warm, thoughtful comments. You are the very best! Hopefully you will still visit us here from time to time, and if you and your husband ever visit Seattle you have a standing invitation for a nice dinner and a ballet!!! Take care, Matthew

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:49 pm 

If a person's real wealth is counted by how many people she has been able to touch and make a difference, then riches truly are yours, Basheva.

I watch, learn about, and feel dance in ways that would not have been possible without your encouragement and wise observations. God speed and I'll see you at the ballet...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:45 pm 

I want very much to add my voice here.

I came to CD from another forum that Basheva posted on at that time.
Her replies, from a purely technical point of view, were and are always absolutely spot-on, detailed, and clearly put.
But more than that, she has the gift of making everyone feel welcome, and interesting, and her replies to all manner of questions and posts are always courteous, amusing, helpful and positive.

I often wondered how she found the time for all her many interests and hobbies (as a fellow embroiderer/artist/cyclist :) xxx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:01 am 
Congrats Ms B!
Although we are greedy for your presence,we want you to be happy and further pursue your dreams! You've been an inspiration to me and everyone here! THANK YOU- GOODBYE-for now....
LOVE
angela

<small>[ 02 January 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: angela ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:19 pm 

Ms. Basheva,

Upon returning to CD following an extended holiday I found something clearly missing among the threads in which I was catching up. There was a voice missing. There was a beautiful, calm, confident, reassuring voice that had gone silent. The voice that has changed the way I think as a dance student more than any other was not to be found. Certainly, my teacher has changed the way I move and the way I look. But the words that you have used and the care with which you have responded have truly changed the way I think when I dance. Best wishes to you Ms. Basheva and may all those you continue to touch with your kindness and wisdom be grateful for their blessing.

Many thanks,
Basilo

"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the Sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rain fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand."

-An Irish Blessing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:39 pm 

I have just returned too Basheva. I hope you will have time now to catch up on some other of your interests which seem to be many. Best of wishes and good luck. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:03 am 

It was not my original intention to write anything further in this thread, however, how could I not respond to what all of you have written?

As I may have touched your lives, so you have touched mine. You have let me know that my time here was not entirely spent in vain. I search for words - but I cannot improve upon the humble simplicity and intent of these two: - *thank you.*

The care, the time and the thought that all of you have taken to write these messages touches me deeply. I feel the warmth and care behind the words you have written. Caring is always the crucial component of the equation in any human interaction. Knowledge, ability, fame are meaningless without caring.

And for the many, many of you who have e-mailed me, literally filling my mailbox, my heartfelt thanks to you, too.

Profile E-mail