public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kimberly Glasco
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2000 5:44 pm 

Ballet has much more severe aesthetic requirements than modern dance. Why for example haven't we seen more black ballerinas. Ballet is very discriminatory. Dancers sometimes are not hired because they are too short, too tall, too bossomy, too whatever. This is not so true in modern dance where aesthetics in movement is more important that the body itself. Therefore it shouldn't be a surprise if a dancer is fired from a ballet company because they do not conform to an artistic vision. It happens in other entertainment industries. Do you think the producers of James Bond would retain their male lead if he got fat or lost his ability to smeer sexily?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2000 9:10 pm 

OK both you guys...fair enough (and shag, you've been VERY restrained: i had noticed that already! Image )<P>but the crucial question is, WAS she fired because she 'got fat' or 'lost her ability to sneer suggestively' or even was out of step with the director's 'artistic vision' OR the board's choice...OR was she fired because she DARED to speak up and act like an adult, in a setting (a major/large traditional ballet company) where dancers are usually 'seen and not heard' (like good victorian children)?<P>i don't know. i admit it. i'm NOT taking a side, here, because i DON'T know...i only know what impressions i've been given from what i've read, and i know that it DOES bring up important issues, including the ones shag has raised.<P>how's that for fence-sitting!? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 8:47 am 

it's getting "bigger than ben hur..."<P>now 49 company artistic directors say the court ruling is wrong, inasmuch as the courts shouldn't make such a decision. this article addresses points of law and of equity.<P>in a separate piece, this dance situation is likened to sport (this piece is more serious than it sounds), and includes such surprises as the news that boston ballet gives its dancers report cards grading them on whether they arrive at rehearsals on time, pick up steps quickly, etc!!!:<P>once more it's the globe and mail, so go to <A HREF="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html</A> <BR>and enter ballet in the Seven day search box at top left. these two articles will come up at the top, as of april 24.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 3:03 pm 

All I'm asking for is a little clarity, folks.......Bottom line, was she fired because she was a bad dancer,or because she didn't support the decision of the artistic director..that's all I'm asking.? ...there is nothing more damaging for a dancer than to be told you've "lost your talent" or you don't have "it" anymore, ESPECIALLY IF THAT'S NOT THE REAL REASON! Speaking as a dancer, --- A dancer invests their whole life (most times from when you're a small child) in perfecting their technique, oftentimes giving up a "normal" life; at least grant her the courtesy of a "real explanation". Understand that I am not speaking as a lawyer, but a dance professional.<P>[This message has been edited by trina (edited April 24, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited April 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 3:46 pm 

trina: i'm not there. i don't know. like you, i only know what i read....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 6:37 pm 

Trina<P>I'm not trying to be confrontational, but regardless of a "legal" interpretation, what difference does it make? Did not Kudelka also work "his whole life" as well to get to the level he is at? At the end of day, she is an employee. She can leave and take her years of training, experience etc to another company just as a lawyer who decides that representing corporate America stinks and core values are more important. The choice is the same. Take less pay to work for a more enriching experience or better yet, start your own company and run it the way you want.<P>Does a quarterback call the plays? Can a junior employee, no matter the tenure, openly challenge the superior? Sure, but there are risks, including losing a job.<P>I have never said what Glasco did should not be applauded and if it was the reason she was let go was because of her contrary views, then well done for the courage. If, however, she is coddled and has no responsibility, then where was the courage?<P>A real reason might be the most courteous, but good manners is not the reason for the firestorm that has ensued. It is the (my opinion) misguided belief that she should have been able to openly, repeatedly trash her Director with impunity simply because of her past success. I find that as being backward and counter productive to moving dance forward by protecting the stars. Where does this leave the corps, anyhow? No one can act beyond reproach and Glasco saw how far her "star power" went. What made matters worse was the fact that it occurred in my former homeland whose employment laws are one of the main reason for the brain drain that is prevelent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 8:11 pm 

I agree with shag. Even though I think Kudelka could have handled this better, it is not uncommon for directors in any entertainment profession to dismiss a performer who no longer fits in with the artistic vision of the show. For example, actors get fired (get killed) from a show if they are no longer required.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 2:46 am 

Concerning and supporting Stuarts comment regarding employment rights for dancers. To give you a European example. For the Artistic Director of the Paris Opera Ballet (where dancers must legally retire, men at 45 & women 40?) to fire a dancer, they first must advise the dancer some months in advance that they are to be "controlled". They must then pass an examination in classwork and present variations. The examination panel is comprised equally of reps from the admin & artists, of course the decision can be appealed. <BR>Sounds rather adult doesn't it.<BR>Dancers are human beings too and deserve transparency and repect.<BR>Maybe then our industry as a whole will earn more respect.<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited April 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 4:59 am 

from the globe and mail, by brian macdonald:<P>"A litigious cook named Glasco<BR>Threw in a touch of tabasco<BR>Inflaming the palate<BR>Of the National Balate<BR>So the stew is now a fiasco!"<P>isn't it time some clever person split this thread into a couple of pages? no-one's told ME how to do it! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 11:01 am 

Ha ha ha! That is very amusing, Grace.<P>Do we really want to split the thread? Why?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 2:41 am 

oh, well...we had this discussion before...maybe we DON'T want to...i'll leave that decision to you guys.<P>re glasco: another article of interest. <P>"Consider a similar case: A dancer sues an artistic director for firing her after she rebuffed his sexual advances. Would demanding this dancer's reinstatement be seen as something that "compromised the authority of the artistic director"? And if reinstatement seems impossible (due to personality conflicts etc.), is it the dancer or the director who should be fired?<P>- not sure this perspective is entirely appropriate, but it's there!<P>once again, at the globe and mail, so go to<P> <A HREF="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theglobeandmail.com/hubs/arts.html</A><P>key ballet in the box in the top-left-corner. it's by schaefer, no. 2 on the list i got, published today friday 28 april.<P>[This message has been edited by grace (edited April 28, 2000).]<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 28, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 8:46 am 

Dirk has started a new thread on this subject at
http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000049

So, I am closing this one.

[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited May 04, 2000).]

<font size = -2><center>(Edited by salzberg to fix link)</center></font>

<small>[ 08-11-2002, 16:28: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2