public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Technical Requirements as webpages
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 5:15 am 

BabsLights, lol. Stuart LOL! Puraze the Low-erd! Amen!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 7:42 am 

Weird requirements.<BR>My daughter works for a professional theater here in SLC. She is now the assistant to the events and scheduling director.<BR>It is amazing what some groups will ask for.<BR>One group asked for 5000.00 cash.<BR>They would pay for this of course, but they wanted the theater to supply them with cash.<BR>WHY???<BR>My daughter and I figured the reason was so they could buy drugs, or other illegal things.<BR>Go figure why they couldn't do a draw of their own on their money???<BR>I guess this way it is tax deductable.....<BR>The theater bills them 5000.00 they put it as part of the expenses.....and go by "what ever"<BR>after we talked about this, and she brought up the subject in an administration meeting, the naive people who work in the theater decided it would not be correct to give them cash and then bill them for it.<BR>None of them had thought of the reasons why they might want to do this interesting thing.<BR><P>------------------<BR>bek<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 12:57 pm 

Now just how experienced was that group in that tech rider. I mean, really...you need to spell everything out in a rider! Where's the bill demonination description?!?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 1:25 pm 

Were they the "new" twenties or the "old" twenties?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:58 pm 

I am new to this site and came across this section. My question might not relate to this forum but I couldn't find anywhere else to discuss, perhaps we can set up a new thread???<P>I look into Salzberg webpage, start to think about the QUALITY of a webpage as your resume, especially when posting images. <P>Salzberg, do you think you will improve the quality of the images on your site to attract the surfer?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 2:03 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Salzberg, do you think you will improve the quality of the images on your site to attract the surfer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I rather like the images on my site. What do you not like about them? I'm always open to suggestions.<P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>Online portfolio, now including "This Day in Arts History":<BR><A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited August 19, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 10:08 am 

Different browsers sometimes show images differently, depending on how people have set things up. But I am sure, Jason, as a web designer, you are aware of that. It was an eye-opener for me, however, when I actually SAW what people using AOL saw on my web site! Egads! <P>And it is tough anyway, getting photos that truly show what you see of the lighting design. Though photos sure are easier then video, and it is nice to be to inexpensively share your portfolio with others, instead of those costly prints.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 10:32 am 

I like putting video clips on my site because it adds the element of time -- but you're right, Babs, it's hard to get video that gives an accurate representation of the lighting.<P>. . .And if you don't like the way your site looks on AOL, wait till you see it on <shudder> WebTV.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 4:56 am 

I was rather hoping that Jason would continue to engage in conversation (He asked if I planned to improve the images on my site to "attract the surfer").

With any web site, I think it's important to keep in mind its purpose. In my case, the site exists as a means by which I can put my portfolio before potential full-time or freelance employers; the entertainment of casual surfers is at most secondary (although there are such features as the "random quotes" and "This Day in Arts History", as well as the hidden images which appear only when the mouse passes over them). I suspect that Jason was referring -- and I hope he'll correct me if I'm wrong -- to flashy things such as animated GIFs. There are a few such on my site, where their use is appropriate (the icons on the "Video" page, for example), but in general, they're not in harmony with the style of the page, so I don't use them -- in web page design, as well as any other art, consistency of style is important.

The problem with many dance company sites, as I see them, is that I'm never sure why they exist. Are they trying to sell tickets? Are they attempting to generate donations? Or are they doing it just because everyone else has a web page?

<small>[ 08-10-2002, 12:51: Message edited by: salzberg ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 5:00 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>And it is tough anyway, getting photos that truly show what you see of the lighting design. Though photos sure are easier then video, and it is nice to be to inexpensively share your portfolio with others, instead of those costly prints.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've found, over the years, that slides, taken with the correct film, give me a much more accurate reproduction of the lighting than prints could ever do. The color is better and there's much more detail -- and slides are much, much cheaper than prints.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 9:16 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The problem with many dance company sites, as I see them, is that I'm never sure why they exist. Are they trying to sell tickets? Are they attempting to generate donations? Or are they doing it just because everyone else has a web page?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Interesting quote from Salzberg. I believe there are many companies that don't need a website.<P>Personally, I love seeing a company's website because that's how I can learn about them. I like to know who the dancers are, who's on the artistic staff, and what repertory they perform. Accessing all this information on a website is much easier that writing or calling the company up.<P>But then again, I suppose the average dance fan wouldn't care, would they?<P>Perhaps then the primary purpose of a website for a dance company is to build awareness, which hopefully will translate into ticket sales and sponsorships.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 10:02 am 

There's no question that a lot of money has been wasted on various dance websites over the past few years.<P>The first problem, as Jeff says, is the lack of a clear focus. And then all the money goes up-front on some mildly sexy (and often slow-loading) design and maintainance is then neglected so that the site is rapidly out of date.<P>It's an interesting phenemenon that the DIY non-organisation sites like ballet.co.uk, the Sylvie Guillem site, Jeff's site and this one often offer a better service to browsers. No one could afford to pay us for the time we spend working on these sites. <P>My impression is that the US companies do better on the maintainance front. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited August 27, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 2:22 pm 

It occured to me taht I have now been to a couple venues where they have placed their rep lighting plot online. <P>That's oh, so very handy!<P>It's been great not only for information, but also fast look up at something, when I was in a hotel room, and the packet of info I needed was in a truck, in a gazillion feet of snow (and my interest in snowshoeing to the truck was zero).<P>One such example I happened across yesterday (in terms of a light plot) is <A HREF="http://www.danceplace.org/techspecs.htm" TARGET=_blank>Dance Place in Washington, DC</A>.<P> <p>[This message has been edited by BabsLights (edited February 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2001 10:03 pm 

Hey, that is so neat! It's even to scale!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 3:13 pm 

Here's another example I had to use last month for a performance.<P><A HREF="http://www.plymouth.edu/psc/cac/techfiles/" TARGET=_blank>Silver Cultural Center at Plymouth State College</A>

Profile E-mail