public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When Lighting is Crucial.......
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:53 pm 

On Sunday I went to see Mummenschanze - there is a thread on it (with my critique toward the end of the thread in "Other Dance").<P>I couldn't help but think as I watched it how crucial the lighting was. I don't know if either of you, Babs and Salzberg, have seen Mummenshanz - but for the sake of this post I will take the liberty of assuming that you have not.<P>The artists (4 of them) are in complete blackout suits - against a black backdrop. For 85% of the performance they are totally invisible - and yet they are literally one inch away from total light. The objects they hold are brilliantly lit - <P>Though lighting is always very important, in this instance it is intrinsic to the success or utter failure of the performance. <P>I can't think of a performance more profoundly dependent upon the artistry of the lighting designer. And, yes, I did give him credit in my critique.<P>Your thoughts.......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: When Lighting is Crucial.......
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 9:56 pm 

There are certainly some performances, such as the one you describe Basheva, where the lighting is obviuosly a key part of the performance. Over here the work of Russell Maliphant is often accompanied with striking and innovative lighting.<P>However, in general, I tend to agree with Deborah MacMillan's comment that, after the choreography, lighting is the key element from the artistic team, in creating the mood(s) of the work. <P>So my answer to your question is...always.

Profile E-mail