public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Technical theatre
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 11:16 am 

Dear those at backstage!<P>Ive been told to send my email here for you guys to help me with!<BR>I'm a final year student at Middlesex University studying for a degree in dance. I have just directed, devised, choreographed, costumed, lighting designed and stage managed my own show as part of my degree program and now have to write a dissatation relating to it. My working title for my essay is, Discuss the visual links between technical theatre and audience perception. Support your answer with reference to 'Flowers of the Field' (my show!) and current choreographer's works.<P>So I was wondering whether there was anybody who could help me with this as although I am doing research on this topic, I would like your own points of view on this topic.<P>Sorry this email is soo long winded!<P>Thank you again for all your help.<P>All my love<P>Carla xxx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Technical theatre
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 11:55 am 

Hi Carla! To give folks the opportunity to give you their views, can I suggest that you outline a few more of the broad themes you are addressing in the essay. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 4:15 pm 

Hi, Carla, interesting topic! But, as Stuart suggests. can you give some more detail?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 10:42 pm 

Thank for replying! sorry i was so vague but dinner was on the table!! <P>I'm trying to find the visual links such as lighting, set, makeup, costumes etc that link the audience with technical theatre. Also the ways in which these attributes play on the audience's perception and enhance their final overview of the piece.<P>Like i said, that title was just a working title and any suggestions would be great!!<P>Thank you again and i hope you had a lovely easter!<P>Love carla xx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 1:25 pm 

So, Carla, I'm curious....and I guess still a little confused as to your topic (but also a little befuddled lately, so please excuse me if it's clear what you are saying, and I'm just being silly)...but are you talking about what the audience perceives as reality versus the reality of what's happening onstage ("magic")? Are you talking about guiding the audience's eyes through lighting? Or visual tricks, or techniques, or emphasis with costumes? Or the whole ball of wax?<P>I guess I'm having trouble starting discussing the topic, because I'm not entirely clear where you are interested in going. However, I must say, I find it immensely intriguing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 6:42 pm 

"lately"<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 11:18 pm 

No its not you! its too many easter eggs that have done it!!<P>I guess both elements would be very interesting however i think im basing my essay around the latter one, how lighting, sets, props and costume add that special bit of magic that transforms a studio piece to a performance.<P>However the reality versus the reality that's happening on stage is also playing a part within the essay. The "magic" that the technical theatre provides in order to guide the audiences mind through the performance and for them to become involved within the performance.<P>Thank you for your help and opening up new allyways for my essay.<P>Love carla xxxx<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 1:30 pm 

I'm not sure if I fully understand the thesis, but here's a suggestion anyway.<P>Color is often the first thing an audience registers and the simplest way to manipulate their perception. People notice how the color of costumes and sets relate to one another. If you want to build an instant relationship between two people, put them in similarly colored costumes. The oldest trick in the book, but still one of the most effective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 2:05 pm 

Hi, Carla.<P>Sounds to me like your paper is basically about how the various elements of design are incorporated to support the artistic intent of the production. If I'm wrong, let me know. <P>Have you considered contacting other designers and directors in your area? Maybe you could get them together in a group and discuss the 'process' of creating art out of 'chaos.' (sorry, was just thinking of a slogan an instructor was fond of.) <P>Hope this helps,<BR>Meredith<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 6:19 pm 

Carla, I think we're feeling a little frustrated, because I, for one, am still not sure what you're looking for. Perhaps you could start writing the paper and post it (or excerpts of it) here for us to comment on?<P><P>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 3:36 pm 

Hey, Salzberg, that's a good idea! How about it, Carla? I'd love to see what you have so far!

Profile E-mail