public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gala parties,before and after parties
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:27 pm 
Do these parties usually include ,not only the principals dancers,but the corps?Do critics always go? Can you get close to the dancers?How many have you(s) been to? Does anyone think they are a waste of money?

Post subject: Re: Gala parties,before and after parties
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:04 pm 

ABT had a post-performance party when they were in Orange County. The price was included in the cost of the orchestra level tickets. I didn't attend, but Two Left Feet did and he would be able to give you more detailed information.<P>Many companies use this as a way to earn more money not only for attending the party and meeting some of the dancers, but also as a way to get future donations and people interested in supporting the company, with both time and money.<P>I remember attending one in the past in which I got to talk to a world renowned ballerina, and it was a very interesting and fun experience. I had watched her rehearse, and been in class with her, but meeting her after the performance, was an added delight.<P>Also a number of companies will often have a pre-performance chat that includes someone from the company - dancer, director, ballet master/mistress etc., and it is included in the price of the ticket. Sometimes every ticket level is included and it is held in the auditorium of the theater or a salon. Those are also very informative. <P>(this might fit into the Managing Dance Forum, too)<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 07, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:12 pm 

I've been to a couple as a crew member working them. My experience was quite different from the average audience member paying a lot of money. <P>I think generally you can have quite a bit of contact with dancers/staff at these types of things but it depends on where you are placed and with whom. They can be lots of fun. And the high ticket price goes to help fund the company, so it's a good cause too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:17 pm 
Thanks Guys--it sounds like lots of fun-for a worthy cause.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:56 am 

Rambert Dance organise these in the UK, but it's best to see it as a way of giving to the Company in a nice atmosphere. You can't rely that the dancers will turn up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:14 am 

If the dancers get free food, most of them will show. Sometimes they invite the orchestra and crew too. That sometimes backfires because they eat all the food and hang out only with themselves.<P>Besides, most patrons aren't interested in talking to the little people, just the dancers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:27 am 

I once did a show with Erik Bruhn. Of the company, only he and the choreographer were invited to the reception. This changed after both refused to attend unless the rest of us were also invited.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:37 am 

At a defunct organization I once helped, I noticed lots of wealthy patrons, mostly male sans spouses, at a post-show party. I also noticed earlier a memo up on the bulletin board requiring the performers, mostly female, to attend the party. Then I also noticed the crew and spouses/boyfriends of the performers mingling outside talking amongst themselves, probably figuring out if they should go home or wait (they were obviously not invited to the party).<P>It was an informal party, just drinks and no food. I made a little announcement that several people important to the performers were waiting outside and that I was sure no one would mind if they joined us.<P>I think that was the last time I was invited...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:01 pm 

This is sounding a little like the 19th century ballet girls who were chosen for their ample bosoms and ability to keep the male patrons...um..."happy". It seems like nowadays it makes more sense to court the FEMALE patrons since they seem to give more generously and often. Maybe that's why they are defunct?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 12:35 pm 
Not to get off my on subject LMCtech,but I remember the Russian royal family being patrons of ballet--Czar NicholasII(prince at the time)DID have an affair w/a well known Russian ballerina(described as having a full bosom)-forgot her name but she was quite famous;was broken hearted when the Czar split w/ her but married a cousin of his or something after the Revolution occurred(some late 19th cent gossip here).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:12 pm 

It was prima ballerina assoluta Mathilde Kschessenskaya. She was unhappy when she had to leave her position as Czarvitch Nicholas' paramour, but she had known all along that when he got married, that would be the end of the affair. The affair was actually his father's idea. You can read about it in her wonderful book "Dancing in St. Petersberg", it's a real classic.<P>I remember a very famous post performance party that impressario Sol Hurok gave for Fonteyn and Nureyev in the late 1960's - and for the rest of the Royal Ballet. As I remember the reports of it (I was certainly not invited - lol) the stars didn't show up until well after 2 or 3 a.m. - after all the guests had given up and gone home.<P>Glad I didn't go.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:34 pm 
THANKS MS B!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:39 pm 
And as far as Fonteyn and Nureyev showing up at 2/3am...I know stars like to show up late to make a GRAND ENTRANCE but THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!The champayne must have gone flat and the cheese must have turned blue....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 11:52 am 

Ah the memories. Of a grand performance, in a city to remain unnamed, by two of the reigning male stars of the ballet world, to remain unnamed, in a governor's mansion, to remain unnamed; for which exorbitant prices had been charged with the promise that these two noble artists would attend the reception.<P>With almost 1,000 people waiting impatiently, the limo pulled up the front drive and disgorged the guests of honor, who then walked through the front door, down the hall, through the ******* and out the backdoor to the limo that had driven around the building and was waiting for them.<P>They had "made an appearance," and fulfilled their contractual agreement.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:51 pm 

Shocking!

Profile E-mail