public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stage production
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:20 pm 

While the minute details are still being worked out, here is what I have so far.<P>The show is will amount to a showcase of local talent in San Diego. There will be singers, dancers (Tap, Hip Hop, Ballet, Jazz, Salsa, Swing, Modern, etc.), a choir, and a band. Since I am using only local talent, I want to make sure the production values (sound, lighting, etc.) are of the highest quality possible. <P>The tempo of the show will be similar to that of STOMP in that I want each piece to segue into the next with no breaks between. The length of the show is 90 minutes and consists of a 45 minute first act, 15 minute intermission, and 30 minute second act. I am shooting for October 2002. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!<p>[This message has been edited by Bahear (edited January 17, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: stage production
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:52 am 

I'm not sure where to start to advise you. You say this is your first time producing; what other theatre experience have you had? What kind of stage show are you doing? There are a number of basic books out there that could help you.<P>If you have any specific questions, ask away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:48 pm 

Bahear, glad to hear you're putting together a production! Give us some details, and there's plenty of knowledgeable, helpful here that might be able to offer some experience.<P>First off, my suggestion? Hire a good production manager!<P>But let's hear some details!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:48 pm 

Completely off subject, but Tom, I met your Jennifer T. this week again. She looks fantastic - was receiving an award...made lovely speech.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:24 pm 

While the minute details are still being worked out, here is what I have so far.<BR>The show is will amount to a showcase of local talent in San Diego. There will be singers, dancers (Tap, Hip Hop, Ballet, Jazz, Salsa, Swing, Modern, etc.), a choir, and a band. Since I am using only local talent, I want to make sure the production values (sound, lighting, etc.) are of the highest quality possible. <P>The tempo of the show will be similar to that of STOMP in that I want each piece to segue into the next with no breaks between. The length of the show is 90 minutes and consists of a 45 minute first act, 15 minute intermission, and 30 minute second act. I am shooting for October 2002. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:07 pm 

May I ask what venue in San Diego you are using Bahear?<P>I am in San Diego.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited January 17, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:29 pm 

The first advice I have is something they say in film: A performance can be made or destroyed in pre-production. The more planning you do before the less surprises (and surprise expenses) you will have.<P>So the new mantra is....pre-production, pre-production, pre-production.

Profile E-mail