public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: On Becoming an Intern
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:09 pm 

That reminds me to add:<P>4. You won't impress me with your fearlessness by taking silly chances with your safety and that of others.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 2:39 pm 

Yes -- I'll never forget the feeling of having a hammer drop from far above, adjacent to my head, in the wings, at the tender age of 17. It could not have been any closer and still miss me. I remember the breeze it caused. Shudder. Talk about "touched by an angel."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:00 pm 

Yikes, that is too scary about the hammer. I like the song, BTW.<P>I am wondering, Salzberg, how many interns you have worked with...it sounds like quite a few!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:31 pm 

I think the use of the word "curmudgeon" is apt here.<P>I'd suggest listing some of these fine suggestions that have been coming in so far. They're great!<P><I>And perhaps listing them prior to some of your initial ideas, Jeff</I>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:34 pm 

My husband always had interns working at the lab during the summer - these were electrical engineering seniors and students doing graduate work from the university. <P>Some really did very well, and for some he just tried to find a place for them, where they would do the least amount of damage.<P>There was one who was doing graduate work who upon hearing that we were going on a vacation to the Carribbean Ocean - asked where the Caribbean Ocean was.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 6:03 pm 

Re: Curmudgeon -- Babs and Christina, you're much too kind.<P>Yes, I have worked with a lot of interns. One reason I'm taking such a stern tone is that I've learned (the hard way) that technical theatre interns (and young theatre technicians generally) absolutely need to be hit in the head with a 2x4 to get their attention.<P>It's always been my intention to include some sort of introduction stating how glad we are to have them and how I look forward to working with them, but I rarely write linearly; my purpose in starting this thread was to start getting my basic points down.<P>I had an electrics intern last summer -- a fairly typical one (typical intern, not typical summer) who said to me, "Tell me what you're trying to achieve with this light so I can figure out where to hang it."<P>Nonononono. That was an entirely inappropriate comment, especially from an intern. It's my job to figure out where the light should go; it's her job to hang it where I drew it on the light plot. If she later wants to ask me <I>why</I> I drew it there, I'll happily explain.<P>Christina, one of my hard-and-fast rules is that all tools carried up a ladder must be tethered to the stagehand's body.<P>I like the idea of the journal; if I get a college graduate who can actually write, I'll try it.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited March 13, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 6:36 pm 

SOunds like that was an entirely appropriate candidate for sorting the gel stock, Jeff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2001 7:59 pm 

And only one person at a time on the ladder please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:48 am 

Whatsa ladder?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:44 am 

Oh, c'mon, Christina, don't you remember that great classic rock song?<P>"My baby just wrote me a ladder. . . ."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:49 am 

How could I remember that? I'm only 29 (and holding).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:54 am 

When I was production Stage manage at Jacobs Pilow years ago I supervised interns from high school age to college graduates. It was a very busy dance season plus a Sunday Jazz music series. The busy schedule was very brutal for those not used to such work at first so we started from the beginning to make having fun number one!! One afternoon off a week to swim hike or whatever no matter what!!<P>We also had every Saturday night a small informal get together onstage after the weeks run. I provided food & drink out of my own pocket (and I only made $75.00 a week but it was important!) and it was structured for 30 minutes to do a post Mortem on the week, and then until everyone was too tired to go on, it was an anything goes Q&A and storytime. This was very successful. Second they always worked in pairs that rotated each day,one with some or a lot of experience and one that was more green. This promoted one on one mentoring, relationship building and team building and left me to supervise the big picture. Of the 8 that summer 5 went on to be professionals in the business. Last we required visiting designer or friends we could beg for a favor from NYC to come up and once a week do a seminar on a slow morning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 6:59 am 

In Canada we don't have interns. People get paid to do jobs or I guess theatres have to run on a skeleton crew. That's why we have universities where tech. theatre people learn (and where hammers whizzing by only endanger other students, lol, ok, ok, it was actually a nail from a air gun that flew past the head of a friend of mine) and whether it's somewhere they fit in, ie, do they like to have a lot of black in their wardrobe. Most of the people I graduated with are working in the industry and they were extremeley well prepared to go to work in any theatre setting. <BR>It seems like no one really likes interns, judging from this thread. Am I wrong?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:50 pm 

I wonder if it is an issue of not liking interns. I think more likely, it's a statement of how our schools today are sending folks out into the world, coupled with a distancing from respect, amongst younger folk, for age, seniority, and experience. Personally, I cannot imagine speaking to Salzberg in such a manner if I was an intern (now? he's fair game Image ) I can see asking "why" because I want to learn, and I can see asking "Why that choice"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:21 pm 

When my husband had interns at the Lab - he ran two research labs for the U.S. Government - the interns were always paid. So it was not unpaid labor. It was a way for them to get hands-on experience. These particular labs were premier institutions in that particular field of research so it was no small matter to have that on their resumé.<P>And, Babs is right - it is a matter of people coming out of college and grad school and not knowing where the Caribbean Ocean is, or not paying attention when given directions about using equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or safety concerns, not having respect for someone with decades of experience trying to help them learn, or with any kind of idea of what a day of work means, or or or - well you get the drift.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next