public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help needed with music for a new dance work
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 3:04 am 

Dear all,<P>This is my first time here - so HI!!<P>I would love to grab so help from you as im choreographing a new dance piece but cannot find any instrumental music.<P>My piece is just pure movement and about 8-9 mins long. Ive been listening to composers such as steve reich and john cage but have not been sucessful in my search!<P>I was wondering whether anybody could suggest any composer and cd titles to help me out.<P>I would like a piece of music that has different qualities in it such as fast and lyrical but also something that sounds a wee bit different.<P>PLease please help and my movement is very versitile and will go to anything.<P>Many thanks!<P>Love betty xxx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help needed with music for a new dance work
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 3:27 am 

Hi Betty and welcome to criticaldance. I think your request is more likely to receive an answer from our Backstage forum where we discuss music for dance. So I am moving it there and locking it here.<P>You say your piece features 'pure movement', but some further description of the style that you favour would be helpful to respondents.<P>I've also changed the title of the topic so that people know the theme.<P>Good luck with your search! <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 4:04 am 

Welcome to Critical Dance, Betty!<P>It would help us to help you (and might help you help yourself) if you could tell us why you decided that Cage and Reich were unsuitable. What qualities did you hear (or not hear) in their music that ruled it out? This will help us identify those qualities which <I>are</I> desireable.<P>Helpfully yours,<P><BR>------------------<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg, Lighting Designer<BR>"Shang-a-lang, feel the <I>sturm und drang</I> in the air!"<BR>Online portfolio: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg</A> <P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited May 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 4:34 am 

Let me add my welcome, Betty, it's great have you join us.<P>Have you tried Vangelis? He has quite a bit of "different" sound to his compositions, while at the same time being very danceable, at least in my opinion. I have several time found what I was looking for in his work.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2001 5:48 am 

I don´t know if it´s the kind of music you´re looking for, but we often use music from René Aubry, Henry Torgue&Serge Houppin and Philip Glass.

Profile E-mail