public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: costuming
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:40 am 

that's kind of you paquita. maybe IF you can scan it EASILY, you could email it to me as an attachment ( grace@criticaldance.com ). my french is not too bad when it comes to reading....(slowly!), and the pictures may be of interest, but please don't go to too much trouble, OK? Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: costuming
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 4:14 pm 

If I am seeing this drawing correctly, I have made this skirt a number of times. I was given a pattern for it many years ago - it is an elongated half circle cut on the bias. The pattern is laid down on the fold of fabric. The fabric has been folded in half, so that there are no seams at all. I found that I had to use the best (read that as "expensive") chiffon for it to hang gracefully. Anything else flares on the hip and makes the hips look bigger.<P>When it fits correctly the front closure overlaps just a bit and smoothly. You can use the ribbon to tie as it seems to be in the picture, or you can use a hook and eye closure fastened onto the ribbon itself, extending on one side beyond the fabric. In that case, I inserted elastic. I can explain that in more detail if you wish, Grace.<P>I serged the hem, very carefully, since I didn't want the hem ragged at all - and you know how chiffon has a tendency to fray between the serged stitches. The ribbon across the top is grosgrain - about an inch wide. Assuming you wear a leotard underneath the grosgrain grips the leotard - satin ribbon has a tendency to slip around. <P>How long you make the skirt of course depends on personal taste. I really wish I could just somehow send you this pattern - it would be sooooooooooo much easier!! I hope this has been helpful. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited October 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail