It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Props
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:34 am 

Quote:
Mad Food Props

By CLARA EUSEBI
Hartford Courant

The back-door warehouse entrance of Berkshire Hall leads to WestConn's set design garage. <a href=http://www.ctnow.com/entertainment/stage/hc-nmm-fairfield-s-16555.artmay15,0,5233841.story?coll=hc%2Dheadlines%2Darts target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Food Props
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:36 pm 

Hm, what fun.

I worked on an opera (Cosi Fan Tutte)in which a wedding cake was made out of styrofoam and spackel(sp?).

I also worked on a musical in which we laquered a cooked turkey in an attempt to keep it from rotting during the three week run.

Then there was the "La Traviata" during which I had half a bottle of "champagne", actually ginger ale, dumped on me every performance as a super. That was no fun. My shoes were permanently sticky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:25 am 

On the other hand, I once did a production of True West, in which the actors open (and drink one sip of) an entire case of beer, as well as a bottle of champagne. For some reason that I now forget, management chose to use real beer and champagne. I didn't approve of this, but was happy to assist with "prop disposal".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:47 am 

In the UK, Fanny and Johnny Craddock used to appear on TV hosting cookery programmes. They once took their show to the stage in a dire piece with some sort of plot.

On a radio programme recalling their show-biz life, one of the other actors in the stage gallimaufry, told how the girl who played his wife was once given a slice of 5-day old prawn quiche by Fanny. He shouted to her, "Don't eat it", knowing what the consequences would be. Food hygiene was not the Craddocks' strong point it would seem.

Profile E-mail