public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "chimneys" for 4 yr. old dance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 10:29 am 

OK - very low tech question...<P>I plan to have my 4 yr old kids do "Chim Chim Cher-Ee" from Mary Poppins for their recital<P>Was thinking I'd make fake chimneys for the set by putting a 3 sided "box" around folding chairs - so that from the audience it looks like chimneys, behind, there is a folding chair to support the chimney/maybe have the kids dance on (to look like they're in the "chimney")<P>What is the best material/colors to use that will show well to the audience - assuming there are no fancy lighting techniques to be used? Something I can do myself...<P>I don't have much stage design experience, and I know that what looks good up close does not always show well at a distance.<P>Should the "bricks" be bright red? or dark red? or a mix? Would plain old cardboard boxes work or would it be hard to get the colors to look right? Any special kind of paint that's good to use?<P>Most tempera seems awfully watery to me....

Post subject: Re: "chimneys" for 4 yr. old dance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:16 pm 

A short low-tech answer:<P>Foam core: rigid foam on the inside, paper on the outside, available at most crqft stores. You can treat it like paper, but it is thicker (1/4 in. or so) and more duarble. And it's cheap. And it comes in white so it's easy to paint.<P>Acylic paint: water-based like tempera so it's easy to use and clean-up, but acts more like a oil paint. Also available at art supply stores.<P>As for color: You should probably lean towards a browner red rather than an orangey red. Maybe with gray between for the mortar.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:31 pm 

I'd take it one, low-tech, step further so you get some dimensionality:<P>Cut pieces of foam in the dimensions of bricks (and only about 1/2 to 1/2 inch thick) and then glue them to your base. That way you actually have the dimensionbetween te bricks, and don't have to be painting shadows, etc., on your project.<P>ALSO I WOULD NOT USE FOLDING CHAIRS FOR PEOPLE TO STAND ON!<P>Please don't use folding chairs for people to stand on!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:20 pm 

Good point on both counts.<P>You could probably get some inexpensive stools that could work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:34 am 

Thanks guys -<P>Great tips....<P>Actually, it sounds like the foam core would be stiff enough to stand on its own - especially if I made "bricks."<P>So maybe I'll not even bother with the chairs... <P>Mostly, I wanted props to make it easy for the kids to find their places and to dance "around"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 10:30 pm 

Good thing the foam core will suit your needs and thus send the idea of folding chairs to the trashpile. <P>I wouldn't allow adults to stand on chairs for a show unless they signed a waiver. I certainly would never allow four-year old children to stand on folding chairs. BAD idea. Stools as well. These are toddlers, after all. No telling what they'll do that might lead to an accident, no matter how well-rehearsed it *was*/*is*. <P>Just my two pennies.<BR>Meredith

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 10:25 am 

Yes, I think you're quite right.<P>These chairs are much sturdier than the typical ones, and also smaller. BUT - we are talking about 4 yr. olds here....<P>And, for the record... I wasn't intending on having them actually DANCE on them, just maybe kneel on them in the beginning to make it look like they're actually in the "chimney"...<P>Just so you know that I'm not entirely out of my mind...<P>