public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sound production and dance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:24 pm 

ME Hunt gives us a thought provoking article about how sounds can make or break a performance. This of course is not news to the technicians among us, but it is news to many choreographers.

From the Contra Costa Times.

Quote:
MARY ELLEN HUNT: FOOT NOTES
Experience dance with ears as well as eyes

WHEN YOU'RE married to an audio engineer, you learn to pay attention to how a dance show sounds.

It's an aspect of performance to which I had previously given little consideration, but in fact, your perception of a dance can be very much enhanced -- or completely ruined -- by what comes into your ears. Nevertheless, I suspect that many choreographers barely even think about how the audience will experience the performance aurally, except to choose tracks off a CD.

When I say "sound problems," most people think of the myriad playback mishaps they've seen or heard for themselves.

more...

I have always been taught that it is the responsibility of the choreographer to make sure the CD is the right one, that it is well marked and complete. If the sound starts at the wrong time or if the equipment destoys the CD or the volume is wrong or the speakers crack, it is the fault of the technician.

Profile E-mail