public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CONTEMPORARY DANCE MUSIC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:13 pm 
LOOKING FOR HELP IN FINDING MUSIC....ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO NEXT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.

Hi there, im choreographing a contemporary dance piece titled: LAUGHING TO STOP MYSELF CRYING. I have found a stimuli in the E.E Cummings poem: 'maggie and milly and molly and may' and therefore am basing it on how things (like the beach) can seem sickly sweet on the outside but on the inside a person can be crying.
I have based the steps on childhood activity and giving it dark twists, and the dance has alot of pauses and unconventional rhythms to break up the flow of the dance and make it about self realisation, escape and reflection. I AM STUCK FOR MUSIC. i wanted the opening to be in silence, as my body and feet are rhythmic in this section and it concentrates on the dance being about ME.... But then I was wondering about reverbing, almost ocean sounds in the background. I found a really good piece but now dont know where to go. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ANYTHING?

I found a dance piece in an ABA structure so i can bring the dance full circle but i think it has too much of a beat. I wanted something curious, whimisical, childlike but not something that controls the dance. I ended up altering so much of the dance to fit the music and i didnt like it.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE AMAZING.....

Post subject: music student
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:30 am 

I asked a music student to make a piece based on my ideas and I also gave her some sounds bits (bird sounds but you could give the kind of ocean sound which you like, google mp3 ocean or something like that). If you are a student perhaps you can even perform in the music department and present the piece as a cooperation. Good luck!
Jetty

Post subject: Re: CONTEMPORARY DANCE MUSIC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 am 

Thanks for the post, I think you may also try to put some touch of a rhythm of a river flow. You just need to figure it, on how you put those music up, the oceanic and the birds and a flow of a river. :D

Profile E-mail