In Dance Issues
, there's a discussion of a proposed (ah, if only it were so) Dancers' Bill of Rights, which got me thinking....
Here's what should be the lighting designers' BOR:
1. Dancers shall make every reasonable effort to get into (and stay in) their light.*
2. Dancers shall not stand in front of shinbusters while waiting to enter.
3. Choreographers shall not use the lighting rehearsal to completely re-choreograph a dance. **
4. Dancers who are on break shall not sit/stand near the lighting designer and hold loud, raucous conversations while s/he is trying to work.
5. Dancers and choreographers shall not steal the lighting designer's Diet Coke®.
* Q: How many dancers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: It doesn't matter; they won't be in their light anyway.
** Q: How many choreographers does it take to change a light bulb?