public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pirouettes, tendu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:08 am 

Hello evryone,<BR>My name is Anastasia, I am 13 years old, and I dance for like 8 years now, and almost six months en pointe. And, I have a lot of questions!<P>The first one, how do I have to make a correct pirouette? I practise on them like four years now, but still (in most of the cases) I just fall down in the middle of my turn. <P>And, how do I have to point my feet? To curl my toes or not? <BR>If i do curl my toes, my foot looks much more streamlined, and i feel that I use my arche better than if I don't curl my toe. <P>Anastasia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: pirouettes, tendu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:07 am 

Welcome Anastasia from the Netherlands!! I am glad you took my advice and joined us. <P>Did you read the thread on tendu and the two of them on pirouettes? What does your teacher say to you about your pirouettes? What advice does she give you? <P>You will see on the thread about tendu a discussion about curling toes - which I am very much against. I think that the dancer should reach outward - not curl under.<P>Here are the links:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000274.html>PLACING THE PIROUETTE</A><P><BR><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000278.html>SPOTTING THE TURN</A><P><BR><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000334.html>TENDU</A><P>And if you look at the top of the page - you will see "search" - you can click on that and then type in what you are interested in and it will come up - and you click on it and read. <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:58 am 

He I don't know, I sended this message just like a few minutes ago, but I don't see it on the list of replies, so I send it again Image<P>I think it is a bit strange in my case (about tendu). I asked a lot of people about that curling toes thing, and most of them are against. Ofcourse, I also asked my teacher. She looked at my (pointed) foot, and said my toe wasn't curled, it was 'just perfect'. I thoughd I heard it wrong or something, because just a few weeks ago she said I shouldn't curl my toe that much. But, I am sure I didn't change my pointing technique, although my teacher told me to do so. Well, is it me or is it she? Or my feet Image?<P>Anastasia

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:02 am 

I forgot to say, I think i do curl my toes, but not that much that I would almost stand on the upperside of my foot or something. Just to make that nice line in my foot, know what I mean? Is that ok, or is it also curling?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 9:43 am 

Anastasia - the difference between curling your toes and stretching them out and reaching is a matter that someone would have to see to decide - this is a good question to ask you teacher.

Profile E-mail