CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Education / Training
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:12 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I think that training answers the question of "how". Education answers the quesiton of "why". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>and of 'what'? and 'when'? and 'where'? and whatever else seems appropriate.... Image<P>are you sure you weren't an editor, orzak? you seem to wrap things up very neatly in small memorable packages....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:48 am 

Grace - LOL - no, I have never been an editor and I don't plan it - it just sort of comes out that way. And adding what, when and where to the education segment is a wonderful way to say it, too, Grace. Thanks, Basheva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 7:27 pm 

You guys have been absolutely fantastic !<P>Some of the thoughts you have presented have often sparked new trains of thought for me!<P>When you said training answers the question of how? and education answers the question of why?<P>That is really what it comes don to. What , where, when , why and how ?<P>If you can answer the question 'What is Dance' you really don;t know what dance is at all.<P>Education and training are to me like the nature/nurture debate. What comes first the chicken or the egg ? <P>To be an effective teacher one has to train and one also has to educate. It frightens me how secondary and high school students are being 'taught' dance by people who have no idea at all what lies behind the movement. <BR>Until dance teachers are recognised in the community as educational rather than recreational or in other words an 'after school activity' our quest will be an up hill battle.<P>Learning, knowledge and skills are a part and parcel of every dance class taught by an educated teacher.<P>Thanks guys for the insights and chance to 'chat'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 2:58 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It frightens<BR> me how secondary and high school students are being 'taught' dance by people who<BR> have no idea at all what lies behind the movement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>interesting thought, Tip_Toes. i guess you mean that phys ed teachers, for example, approach dance as just an exercise form? <P>in australia secondary school dance teachers usually have a dance degree, but not always, and i think you raise a legitimate point....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 6:15 am 

If you are teaching a step to a student such as "royale" - it is merely a jump, sur la place with a beat. That is training.<P>If you tell that student, that this jump is called royale because a King Louis in France invented this step, he loved it and did it very well - that is education.<P>If you start your class with plies' - that is training. But, if you comment to the class that all around the world ballet classes, including those for the greatest dancers alive, are also starting with plies' - that, in my opinion, is education.<P>People, for the most part, like to be connected, I think, to a history, a tradition, and education does that. It surely lends interest. It makes them feel they are part of a process, a part of a community that enjoys what they enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 6:22 am 

what i don't get is how anybody wearing heeled shoes managed to do ANY beats and live to tell the tale! <P>i still haven't forgotten the first time i demonstrated 'entrechats six' in teaching shoes (you know the pink leather ones with the little heel): OUCH! Image<P>* edit: sorry - it may not be apparent that i am making this comment in connection with the royale/louis XIV comment of basheva's.<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 05, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 10:58 am 

I was in class one day when Elaine Thomas (Royal Ballet, ballet mistress) demonstrated in VERY high heels a double attitude entournant - perfectly, I might add. We were all so aghast - (and jealous) that we forgot the combination she was setting and she had to repeat it. And did, perfectly, again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 4:46 pm 

oh, i LIKE dancing in heels - not that you'd get any double attitude turns out of me, these days - but have you TRIED beats?<P>you smash your ankle bones with the heels....on each beat: <P>six = ouch,ouch,(ouch)! Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 8:40 am 

I just couldn't resist responding to Rabbit's comments about training or educating the dog (or cats, or horses.) She's right, WE don't educate the animals.We train the animals.A dog's/cat's/horse's mother or other members of the herd or pack educate them. I know it's nothing to do with the extremely interesting ideas voiced above about training/educating a human. But it does present another thought perspective, and I just had to throw it in.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited October 07, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 3:45 pm 

welcome back maggie! Image hope you had a good break...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:41 am 

Thank-you Grace. Basheva, I think Elaine Thomas is a lovely, gracious person. I believe she is ballet mistress with the Nashville Ballet at this time.