public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Maggie Black
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:51 pm 

Hello, usetodancetg, and welcome to CriticalDance. What a wonderful story about Maggie Black! I love the "send the energy through the muscle" instead of locking... I so agree! In my own way, this is what I try to tell my students, too! I feel re-affirmed! :) You were fortunate to study with her and she continues to be an inspiration to you. I don't have any recordings or know anyone who has one. Perhaps someone will see this and point you in the right direction... I wonder if any performing arts library collections might have some? Best of luck to you in finding what you are seeking!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:27 pm 

I love reading about Maggie here, and can add a little to the history.

I studied with Maggie in the 1960s when she first began teaching. She had a small apt. on 72d Street in New York with her husband Joe & 2 dogs. The living room, where the front door entered, was the studio. The next room was the *******. The next room was the bedroom. Everything pretty small, no dressing room, I guess we changed in the bathroom, I don't really remember. There were tall stools in the ******* for eating at the counter -- those became our barres ("barre stools" actually :lol:) I was one of only 5 students, and I was just beginning on pointe. This was not easy at the unstable, tippy barres! The dogs wandered around among us as we stood at the barre, begging for attention.

Ultimately Maggie moved on to a bigger space, and yet another even bigger space. I went to her class off and on over the years, until I started teaching myself. And yes, center placement was (and still is!) top priority. I had partly forgotten where my own emphasis on center placement began, starting from first position. I'm still teaching basically the same thing, only starting from 3rd. And I still agree -- center placement is crucial, and makes all other skills easier, actually possible -- turnout, balance, extensions, pirouettes, you name it. Live on, Maggie!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 pm 

I can't imagine why the word *******, for the room where you cook, would be blanked out here. Never mind, I'm sure you get the idea. :D

Someone asked the question, Where did Maggie train? I don't know about the beginnings, as the first time I saw her was when I was a beginner studying at the old Metropolitan Opera Ballet School in the 60s, with Margaret Craske, Bunty Kelly, and Alfredo Corvino. Maggie was taking Antony Tudor's advanced/professional class, which was stunningly difficult. But Maggie nailed every exercise. She wasn't a particularly beautiful dancer, but she had a bulldog-like tenacity and determination that simply would not let her mess up, no matter how hard the exercise. You could see than in her face as she moved across the floor, and later she was equally determined to pass on everything she knew to her students.

Live on Maggie :!:

Profile E-mail