CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RESUME
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:27 pm 

hi there. I am putting together a resume. Please for all you wonderful dancers out there. What type of things would you care to include into a dance resume?

Post subject: Re: RESUME
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:36 am 

I recently had the opportunity to see the resumes of a dance professional. Note that "resumes" is plural. She had separate resumes for performance, choreography, and teaching. Each included a long list of professional engagements.

Hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:59 pm 

Hi,

If you don't have enough experience to make up different resumes for performance, teaching and choreography, you can put them all into one resume, and change up the order of entries depending on the application. My resume lists my training (techniques, main teachers/mentors); performance experience (pre-professional and professional, sorted by date, in two separate categories); choreographic experience (same format); teaching experience (style/genre, age level, length of teaching job etc); awards won; workshops attended; anything else that you feel is relevant, etc. I also list my height and weight at the top of the resume with my address, email and phone number. Most auditions etc will ask for a dance photo and/or a headshot that you can include with your resume when you send it out. It should be about 1 page long and just list the highlights of your career.

If they ask for a CV or Curriculum vitae, then that can be as long as it needs to be and should include all of your experience from at least the last 5 years (depending on your age and where you are in your career - if you're just getting started then it probably won't be that long, but if you have a lot of experience under your belt then it might be up to 5-10 pgs long).

Anyways, hope that helps! If you ahve any questions I'd be happy to answer them!
Shallom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:58 pm 

Training - where, with whom, when
Performances - where, when
Teaching experience - where, when
Schooling - high school, universities
Hobbies and Interests
Other work experience
Affiliations and if you have any certifications

Email me if you wish to see mine as an example. dancebda@aol.com

<small>[ 09 October 2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: JLL ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:37 am 

Have a look at this website and at this one.
Although you'll have to make it personal, it explains the main points to look out for.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:56 pm 

I like how Shallom makes the difference between a résumé which should be a summary and a CV, which as she suggests and I like to say, can contain lots of information in excrutiating detail! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:16 am 

Dean, this is not so true in the UK though (CV and resume are the same document).

You choose whether it will be short or long -and therefore a CV or a resume- according to what you apply for.

Both are called a CV though, but you don't say so in so many words at the top! (you never say CV or Curriculum Vitae or Resume or anything like that at the top -big no no) ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:06 am 

Could I ask for what type of position you'll be needing a resume for?

To get all the teaching positions I have at various studios I've found that scheduling a meeting with the owner and just talking about experience and what you can bring to the table and viewed a resume handout in that position would just give the impression you are spamming yourself out to everyone to wait for a bite. Make it personal and just leave a phone number in a teaching position case.

For scholarships, usually they want something very specific. A resume in format they specify, a photo in 1st arabesque from straight on, etc etc.

I guess I'm just thinking one would need to know what the resume is for before giving ideas? Or is that just me?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:33 am 

Funny thing is I was today asked for a cute 'bio' or 'resume' to post up for the parents to read about me.

I guess in one studio a few parents were watching me do partnering and asked the owner a few questions she couldn't answer so wants me to just put something 'cute' together so parents can learn more.

Probally the first time I actually had need for a 'resume', I'm still curious what your need is for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:22 pm 

Hi Pat.
Ok I shall be a little more specific and also quash that wonderful curiosity of yours. quite simple though, the resume that I shall be putting together will be of any/all past dance experience basically from beginning to the present and to perhaps include a brief of future goals, expectations, visions etc. although I may do two seperate resumes at the same time - one on my own dance experience and one of teaching experience to date. Which probably lead to another question:

WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A DANCE TEACHER RESUME?

Thoughts, comments observations most welcome :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:58 am 

You need to relate the information you include to the job specification for the job you are applying for. If its a teaching job then include all your teaching experience, if its a performing job include all your performing experience, don't bombard it with irrelevant info. If you include a letter of application then this should also relate to the job specification or person specification. I keep a copy of my CV then cut and paste depending on the job I am applying for, it takes time but is so much better than sending out a standard CV.

<small>[ 10 November 2004, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Harlequindance ]</small>