CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: writing a syllabus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:34 pm 

Hey! I am needing to design a Open Class and write an entire Syllabus (oh boy!). I am wanting to include somethings that perhaps are not usually included into the Syllabus. For example:
1. French Terminology/translation.
2. Description of Exercise. Brief list of variations of exercise. (ie)Frappe, with a rise, double etc.
3. Brief training exercise to perfect technique.
4. What we use the exercise for.
5. Things to remember whilst performing exercise.
6. Things to remember before commencing exercise.
7. Common faults.
8. Corrections (an area where students can also make notes)
9. Visualisations.
10. Musical timings.
11. Anatomical descriptions.
I would hand out the syllabus to each student at the beginning of the class so that each one of them can write up any corrections etc. I am actually doing this exercise as part of a practical teaching exam (gulp)!

What I would truly truly appreciate is any input as to what other inclusions one would care to include into such a syllabus. Food for thought.

;) Look forward to any/all replies. THANK YOU all in advance for your time and efforts. All very much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: writing a syllabus
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:11 pm 

What to include in a syllabus depends entirely on the level of the student, of course.

By definition, it's really hard to have a syllabus for an open class because you have no control over who comes. You have to pretty much teach whoever happens to show up on a given day. That can be frustrating.

For my beginner class, I once wrote up some handouts. The students did appreciate it. However, not surprisingly, my estimation of what I was going to get through didn't really correspond with what I ACTUALLY made my way through. Since then as I've gained confidence, I haven't bothered so much with a written syllabus (although the syllabus in my head of what I want my students to learn in 8 weeks is much better).

Teaching ballet can be a very moment-to-moment thing. You watch your students. If they get through what you're trying to teach them, you go on; otherwise, you try to find another way to get to them.

There are some great syllabi that are widely used to great effect. You might look them up: RAD, for example. Some of them are quite detailed, going over exactly what they want each level to learn year by year, as well as exercises to get the students there.