CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Teaching Exhortations
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 10:49 pm 

This is not mine, but I read it once and it works wonder for pirouettes (or any step requiring balance): <BR>"The more you fall, the more you fall. The more you balance, the more you balance".<BR>To hold abdominal muscles (for the little ones): "Zip your stomach up" (mime follows) or "Hide your meal"<BR>antoP.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 4:17 am 

Rabbit how many attitudes have we seen where the dance student looks like a dog stopping at a lamp-post!!!<P>With my adukt students who continually look down I always teel them that if they look up anyone watching will look at them at not their feet - but looking down automatically draws the watcher's eye down to the feet. It works a treat - for 5 minutes!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 3:07 pm 

AutoP - I really like that one!! Zip your stomach up. !! Sometimes I have said - all your life your stomach has talked to you - it says "I am hungry" or "I hurt". Now you get a chance to talk back to your stomach and say "hold me!!" The kids seem to like that one - and I have actually heard them say that quietly at the barre - which really made me smile.<P>We used to say "doggy at the fireplug" for those attitudes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 4:55 pm 

what a rich thread this is!<P>thanks to everyone! :0<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>educated teachers no longer use 'tuck your tail under'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i agree, tip_toes. but i have never heard the explanation made as well as you did. i would simply have said, that this imagery encourages an over-correction of the position of the pelvis, such that it is not in the desired position, either before or after the admonition.<P>i'm impressed by your rationale of 'moving imagery versus static imagery', and think that this topic warrants more thought. one could develop a paper for teachers, just on that theme.<P>there are some wonderful lines here...it's hard to know what to comment on first! i should have chimed in earlier! i love "you snooze, you lose" and the walking around looking at the floor - i'll defintely use that one next time - although as joanne points out - whatever you say WORKS, but only for 5 minutes!<P>can also see good use of this line:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The most amazing thing about dance is you don't have to speak to perform.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>this also sounds like a good one, to the right 'audience':<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>b**bs over the toes"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>getting slightly more serious, i have found that the idea of lifting the EARS, has a better neck-elongating effect than lifting the 'head' or stretching up, or whatever....<P>and getting still more serious, i think we have to remember that many people may read this forum who aren't as old, or as experienced, or as knowledgeable as some of us are...so it's worthwhile for us not to come across as too judgemental. <P>i thought it was great, tip-toes, that you came in to say that you thought your OWN line looked a bit pompous out of context/on it's own! Image and as someone else pointed out, some of these 'abbreviations' are OK when your students know what YOU mean by them....<P>re 'pull up' - i think it has its uses, although i'd be more inclined to use it in the context it had in modern dance, which was to pull UP the front of the body, AND at the same time to drop DOWN the back of the body.....stand up and try it! (then lift your ears!) Image<P>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 5:10 pm 

Well, my first teacher was an extremely elegant woman - very elderly, but still retained every bit of grace from her stellar career. She had a clipped British accent though she was an American (she had had Enlish governesses as a child). She was also a stickler for purity of line and tradition. But, having given you the picture of this elegant woman, there was the day that she approached one of the "stars" in class and in that aristocratic Queen's English said - "suck up your gut!!!" <P>Worked like a charm - though I would never say it.