public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: about Pilates
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 8:41 am 

Grace,<BR>Sean Gallagher owns the trademark. There are lawsuits concerning this at this time. If you want to know more on that particular issue, you might want to find another source. I'm not involved in the politics of this, or in these lawsuits. I choose to focus on teaching the excellence of this work. I think I made my position fairly clear about teaching earlier on, and that the trademarking of this name does not guarantee quality, nor does it exclude the presence of quality. I will e-mail you, Grace, if you want any further clarification of my opinions.<BR>The floor work of Ron Fletcher is quite different from the standard pilates floorwork, although the elements are still there. The standing part of the floor utilizes movement to carry on the premise that movement in correct alignment helps correct muscular development. The breath is used as part of the exercise, and to create the rhythm for the class to follow the movement. He also adds the element of artistry to the movement, not affectations, but an expression of the form so it's not a dry one-two exercise. Many aspects of Graham are incorporated since they interlace with fundamentals of contrology. There is so much more to describe, not the exercises themselves, but how they work rehabilitivly (If that's a word) that I can't put it all here. Perhaps, if you wanted to address something specific, we could go with that.<BR>Maggie<P><p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited May 04, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 4:03 pm 

thanks maggie, what i find MOST interesting is the idea of the standing, moving work...<P>i will ask my friend who teaches pilates if she is aware of this 'style' or approach, or if SHE would like to know more about it - since she mostly works with dancers...<P>and thanks for the offer, but no, I'M not real interested in the politics, either...i WAS vaguely aware that in australia there have been some bunfights over this sort of thing...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 10:09 am 

Hi!<P>Grace suggested i post my question about Pilates here (thanks Grace! =o)), so here goes...<P>My college offers a body conditioning lab (aka Pilates course) during the summer. It's intended for dance majors, but I inquired if i could take it. Yes, she said, but only if there's space for me. Guess what -- there is.<P>She informed me that it is quite rigorous (an hour and a half class every day, 5 days a week) and that though the levels range from beginning to advanced, the majority of the students have already taken the class before.<P>I took a non-majors ballet class last semester and though by the end of class i was sweating, i was not out of breath. (just to give you an idea of the stuff we did, we covered jetes, pirouettes, glissades, pas de chat...)<P>I'm pretty athletic (I was on my high school's dance team 3 years ago), and i will be taking ballet again. I'm even considering pointe work in about 5-6 years.<P>Should i go ahead and take the pilates class, even though it's mainly for dance majors? Do i have a reason to be intimidated?<P>Thanks for your help in advance,<BR>Nina }}i{{

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 12:43 pm 

Lilipath,<BR>I'm guessing from your post that this is a floor class, and not an equipment class, meaning you won't be using the reformer and other pieces of equipment.<BR>You need to talk to the teacher and ask her if the class starts with the fundamentals, then continues with the development of the movements. The fundamentals are essential to proper execution of the other movements. One of these consists of the knowledge and training of neutral spine. It is as integral to this training as a proper plie is to ballet. So talk to the teacher. I would think that you should do just fine if the class is well taught. Good luck and enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2000 5:17 pm 

another pilates info page: <A HREF="http://www.hermit.com/hermit/~mjm.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hermit.com/hermit/~mjm.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2000 5:28 pm 

The pilates name use lawsuit goes to court this week. For those of you who may have had certain questions regarding certification, please check out this website for a revealing explanation about what is going on. <A HREF="http://www.balancedbody.com/nameusefr.html" TARGET=_blank>www.balancedbody.com/nameusefr.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2000 6:01 pm 

WILL do, maggie (-later!... Image ) Thanks for that!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 9:05 pm 

And check out this story about a court decision:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Training varies among Pilates instructors</B><P>By Susan Morse, WASHINGTON POST<P>Brace yourself -- or at least strengthen and balance yourself -- for an explosion of courses in the trendy Pilates method of body conditioning.<P>That's because a U.S. District Court in Manhattan recently declared the distinctive program of movements developed by German fitness pioneer Joseph Pilates (1880-1967) is a generic form of exercise -- like karate or yoga -- not subject to trademark.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/16pilates_20010116.htm" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail